books about the Holocuast

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by headymoechick, Feb 23, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

anyone else into these?

I have a bunch. I don't know why they intriuge me so much. i'm not Jewish and I don't know any Jews. I just think it was so awful and the first hand accounts of people in a concentration camp or in hiding are almost unbeleivable.

2. smilez

smilez Member

This time in histort intrigues me alot as well. Have you ever been to the Holacaust Museum in Washington D.C.?

3. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I loved Night by Elie Weisel! It was so human! It wasn't impartial. It wasn't immature. It was beautifully sad.

4. headymoechick

OMG! I'm re-reading that one now. That's what inspired me to ask if anyone else reads these. It's so good and heartwrenching. The part where the woman screams about a fire long before they get to the camp give me chills.

I've never been to Washington DC. not yet.

5. HippyFreek2004

You need to go...it's amazing...

6. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Night by Elie Weizel (spelling ?) is really good. Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place is really good as well. Primo Levi has some good books. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankel is really good as well. Viktor Frankel was an Austrian-Jew psychologist imprisoned in Auswitz. The first half of his book recounts his experience while imprisoned, the second half details his developement of his theories while imprisoned. Flee the Captor tells the story of Holocaust hero Jon Weidner. Jon Weidnerwas the head of the Dutch-Paris underground org. that rescued several thousand Jews and several hundred Allied airmen.

7. headymoechick

theres one I read in school when I was very young and I can't remember the name.

it was about 2 little girls and they were friends. one was a jew and pretended to be the sister of the other girl when the German's went to their home in Denmark. In the end The little girl risks her life to deliver this basket to the people going on a boat to Sweden and it had a hanky that killed the dog's sense of smell. the cover had the girls illustrated face and the star of david on a necklace

8. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I have.. It was soooo sad.. I also went to Dachau (Concentration camp) When i went to german.. that was almost to much to handle... Standin in the gas chamber and the creamtoriums... The vibe there is unbearable... It definaly a place you want to go to alone... Theres alot of emotions to deal with there

9. HippyFreek2004

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

10. headymoechick

YES!! That's it!! thanks it was bothering me.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Witness... it was a documentary and companion book.
    Very unsettling, with voices from many points of the line: former Nazi Youth...Goy farmer in Poland, survivors.

12. malibusunny

malibusunny Member

number the stars by lois lawry-- she is a great author. oft banned, but great.

13. malibusunny

malibusunny Member

never mind. beat me to it. :lol:

14. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

I own "Anne Frank's Diary" (the standard 1947 copy and the definitive edition that has everything in it, because there was stuff about her sexuality and rants about other family members that were inappropriate for 1947), "Anne Frank's Tales From the Secret Annex", "The Holocaust Chronicle", "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", "Night" by Elie Wiesel. I don't have a whole bunch of money at the moment, but once I've saved up, I'm going to get "Mila 18" and "Exodus" by Leon Uris, "We Were Witnesses" (it's a book with diary entries from 5 teenages who went through the Holocaust), Isabella Leitner's memoir (I think it's called "Isabella: From Auschwitz to Freedom"), "Mein Kampf" by the most psychotic freak in all history, and...

Well anyways, I'm with you. I plan on taking a class about the Holocaust in college. I'm also very interested in Judaism. I'm a Mormon, but I also own a copy of the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) and have been eyeing the book "Becoming a Jew". I'm not going to convert, but I skimmed through it once and it has the answers to all the questions and explanations of all the traditions which I'm so [interested in learning about].

Anyways, those are my books. :)

15. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

Oh! "Number the Stars" is a fantastic book (sorry for the double posting, I didn't read all the posts before I did, and NtS is just great). I read it in 4th grade and have never been able to forget it.

16. headymoechick

that's when I read it too. I wanted to get it to add to my collection but I couldn't remember the name for the life of me.

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

'Souls on Fire' by Eli Weisel is very good too. And also 'Schindler's List' - can't recall the author of that.

18. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

my favorite document to read about the Holocaust is my family tree :(

19. alex714

alex714 To the Left

maus I and II...so brilliant and powerful, you'll never forget it.
    theyre by art speiglmen (i didnt spell that right...)

20. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

The Boys. It's written by Martin Gilbert, or Gilbert Martin, or something like that.. hehe. Anyway, it's a biography of some boys who were kids during the WWII and spent most of their childhood in the concentration camps and how during and after the war they were adopted to the UK. It's a really good book, shows how the holocaust affected to these boys and what they're like now that they're adults.