Book Swap

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by L.A.Matthews, Apr 22, 2007.

1. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

Okay, I have a book by Cupcake Brown called A Piece of Cake. It's unread and in perfect condition. If you fancy this book, and you own a book I fancy, and are willing to swap, please contact me.:)

2. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

A book swap is a great idea! I tend to horde my books though, as I like to see the big collection of hardcovers and paperbacks.

What sort of books are you looking for?

3. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

Yeah, what sorta books are you after? I got a lot (I mean a LOT) of science fiction: Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, the more modern ones like Peter F Hamilton et cetera. Also got lots of fantasy, sadly my Tolkien's a bit battered (had it for eight years and read it about 15 timea haha).

4. phoenix_indigo

oooh Asimov. I used to have several of his books but when I left the States and shipped everything over I only kept the books I couldnt' live without and now only have one Asimov book in my collection.

if i had a book though for 8 years that i read 15 times i wouldnt' want to part with it personally even if it is battered. but then again i'm a collector. ;)

5. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

so tell us, which is the one Asimov book you can't live without? I'd go for either The Gods Themselves or Foundation.

6. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

Good choices, but I'd expand Foundation to include the entire Foundation series (Second foundation, foundation & empire, foundation & earth, prelude to foundation). I'd also stick The Complete Robot, The Robots of Dawn and Robots & Empire in there as well.
    And yeah, even though it's battered and for some reason printed in THE tiniest print I've ever seen in a book, I love my Lord of the Rings and probably wouldn't part with it even if it actually fell apart (I'd just buy another one to read, keep the old one for sentimentality). I'm sort of a collector also - as a rough guess i'd say I have about 400 books, and nary an end in sight.

7. phoenix_indigo

The Asimov book I actually bought over here, I haven't found many of his on the boot sales which either means people don't read him or they love him too much to part with his books. :)

I DID have Foundation (though never got the other books in the series) when I was across the pond, but it got left there - well donated to some worthy cause or another. The one Asimov book I have now that I've picked up is a non-typical Asimov. It is "The Best Mysteries of Isaac Asimov."

If you are wondering the books that were essential and I paid to ship were: all my Vonnegutt, most of my Douglas Adams, Irvine Welsh, the couple of Dr. Seuss books I had been given as gifts, and Shel Silversteins "Runny Babbit" as my hubby bought it for me. I also kept a small collection of comic books. :)

8. phoenix_indigo

I do have one book I would swap with someone if they were interested.

Terry Pratchett's "Night Watch"

It's in perfect nick, but been collecting dust for ages.

9. phoenix_indigo

Hmm ... trying to re-visit this idea. I have decided that though I love the look of a large library of books, ultimately there are so many I'd like to read I doubt I'll re-read the ones I've got. So I'd be up to swapping with people, and wonder if there is anyone other than Mr. Matthews that would be interested in trying this. I don't want this post to get lost on the second page and never have seen if it could get off the ground.

Anyway, if anyone's interested I've got up for swap:

Tom Clancy: Red Rabbit
    Tom Clancy: Executive Orders
    Tom Clancy: Rainbow Six
    Tom Clancy: Red Storm Rising

Patricia Cornwell: Hornet's Nest
    Patricia Cornwell: Southern Cross
    Patricia Cornwell: Isle of Dogs

Robert Ludlum : The Apocalypse Watch

James Patterson: The Midnight Club
    James Patterson: Hide & Seek
    James Patterson: Lifeguard
    James Patterson: The Jester

I figure if I could get some new reading material while passing on some I've already read it would be a really excellent way of getting new things to read as I'm always looking for new worlds to get lost in.