Book - "Our Bodies, Ourselves"

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Lilyrayne, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Has anyone checked this book out? What did you think?

I was talking about the corniness (or so I heard) of it with someone and I got quickly rebutted for it, they said it was actually an excellent book that every woman should own.

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I have two copies, and keep it around to explain things to my kids ALL THE TIME. I recommend it for everyone.

One of the things I love about my copies are the pictures of the hippies from the first edition.

3. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I wonder how hard it would be to find a first edition to read?? What year was it published? It'd be cool to read the historical version AND the new one, to see the changes...

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Yeah, you could probably do a search on Amazon and get an old one and compare it. The historic aspect of the old one is cool (as are the hippies, not as someone in Hollywood would remember them, but as they were then) but some of the info is innaccurate, the Pill was VERY different than it is now, there are more efffective condoms ect. The rates of abortion is lower now than then, more people have oral sex, lesbians are OUT, and they weren't then (in fact my first exposure to people talking about lesbianism as a normal thing was this book in the late 70s, it was very eye opening, especially for a Catholic Educated girl!)

It is really a good book.

5. *hannah*

*hannah* Member

It is a good book. I bought it from my library at a used book sale.