Book: Lets eat right to keep fit.

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Bilby, May 1, 2006.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Let's eat right to keep fit by Adelle Davies.Originally published in 1954 and revised 1970. I have just had this book out from the library. I remember reading this book many years ago. I would have much the same conclusions as I did then but for different reasons today, that is to say some things certainly rang true but other parts did not. I would say she was essentially sincere but sadly fell for the propaganda put out by the veg oil companies that trans fats and saturated fats are one and the same. Since then it has been clearly shown that they are biologically opposites.
    To give an example where she was on the ball was with Ménières disease. She claims that a lack of salt in ones diet can bring it about.I have twice had Ménières and the last time I had it, the doc suggested I might not be getting enough salt. She agreed with me that it is another case of media irresponsability of generallising as it is about 9% of the adult population that has to watch their salt intake not the the entire population.
    Anyway what I am saying is to get hold of the book but remember it was published some time ago.

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

Adelle Davies kicks ass!

i've got a couple of books by Linda Clark that were written in the late 60's. She quotes davies extensively. anyways, her nutritional philosophies are very much in line with the edgier nutritional theories today. she was very much ahead of her time

cheers!

ps, linda clark does differentiate between sat'd fats and hydrogenated fats and blames artheriosclerosis on the hydrogenated fats. linda clark also blows lots of holes in the cholesterol hypotheses, i think you'd like her.