Bob Marley and lice

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by knattyk420, Feb 18, 2009.

1. knattyk420

knattyk420 Member

I ran into some ppl yesterday that told me the crazy shit about our locks. I got the usual do you wash it and then before I could even say of course she tells me Bob Marley had 26 differnt kinds of lice and that due to being rasta and I better look out like my dreadi babys are lice magnets:toetap05: Crazy
    Any I wondered if any of you outhere had heard that about Bob Marely cause I wonder if I'm the only one.:eek:

2. hellodreadhead

hellodreadhead Beta as fuck

Just been noseying on Yahoo. It's an urban legend. I doubt he'd be that famous if he had that much lice.

3. knattyk420

knattyk420 Member

True its just irrating trying to explain to ppl that dreads arent nasty

4. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

yeah ive heard that before. the rumor was prob started by ppl who were anti peace back when bob was trying to unite....uuummm....was it Africa? Geesh...excuse my forgetful mind. Or was it the english and Jamaicans? Carap...dont come to me for history advice folks! =]
    but my point is it was prob just a rumor started by haters. I mean c'mon...who in their right mind would allow 26 diffeent species to live intheir dreads? Even the dirtiest of the insane homeless would shave their head.

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

the rumor was 26 varieties of bugs including 4 unknown bugs
    every inch of your skin is covvered in millions of microscopic insects
    bob was a very humble man, a millionair but he slept under the stars on the hasrd ground wiith a rock for a pillow
    so its not unreasonable that it could be true especialy since hed traveled the world
    but its most likely myth

and lice, black people are automaticly lice resistent or so i was told (maybe the eggs dont stick to the hair? i dunno)
    dreads also are no more lice likely then straight hair
    lice will jump on anyone regarless ogf hairstyle

6. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

7. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

this is making me itchy just reading it.

8. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

is there that many different kinds of lice???? nassy nassy nassy!

9. soaringeagle

the rumor as i heard it was bugs niot specificly lice
    so theoreticly it is possible
    every inch of your skin has millions of bugs, all sorts of mites and stuff..your hair too
    most are symbiotic even, without them youd have problems as they eat dead skin
    there are also parasytics too but the harm they do is not noticable
    and im not talking bout nice that u can see and feel, these bugs are so tiny u need a microscope
    now if u go to a rainforrest ever, theres a good chance u pick up as few unknown species and i aimagine jamaica might have some that have not yety been discovered

so the rummor theoreticly could be true..for anyone whod vissited the places hed visited
    but it really is just a made up lie
    just like the lie that he died from cancer related to smoking weed

10. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

I heard he died from cancer because he would not chop off his toe. Is that true?
    Shit I would be one toeless bitch!

11. OzzyDread

OzzyDread Life Supporter of Peace

cancer of the toe...thats a new one.

12. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

I heard it was cancer of the foot. damn....does anyone know the true story of the iconic Bob Marley? =]

13. legal_rasta

legal_rasta Member

how is that new???

i thought that was pretty much what it was told to be (what everyone knows). he had it in his toe, rasta wont alter the body or something like that, so he refused to get it amputated, then cancer spread, and by the time he agreed to get treatment it was to late.

edit: wikipedia says "The spread of melanoma to his lungs and brain caused his death."

skin cancer

14. Hesh

Hesh Member

bob died at age 36, he injured his foot, or right big toe playing soccer, it got infected... they said "acral lentiginous melanoma" a form of malignant melanoma. he refused amputation because of the rastafari beliefs, u cant cut the body, nor the locks. the infection slowly spread to his brain, lungs, liver, and stomach. his illness turned terminal. he also lost his locks/hair due to the illness before his passing.

His final words to his son Ziggy were "Money can't buy life."

15. hax

hax Member

you know he had 36 kids? insane! not all from the same mom of course but still.

16. legal_rasta

legal_rasta Member

yes.... idk about the cutting of the body or locks, or where you got the info, but wiki just said rasta body must be "whole" and thats why he wouldnt do it.
    that sucks so bad that he lost his locks and hair. that would just make me scared and sad to see that... like frank zappa when he was sick... its just unreal.

- and @ the 36 kids thing... that seems a bit to many. i believe its 13, and 5 were from rita marley.
    all the rest each had a different mother.

damian!!!!

17. soaringeagle

i know he had alot didnt know that many
    but he was the king of kings all the queenes wanted nand he definately wasnt one to be stingy i guuess..lol

but yea thats correct it was cancer from a toe injury that spread

18. hax

hax Member

it was 36 i saw hit biography on history channel or something

19. soaringeagle

hey if he had 36 kids and just 26 bugs hes doing great since kids spread bugs nmore then anyone

20. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

my feeling exactly. i hate lice. i get itchy hearing the word, i had them perpetually for years, and my parents hacked off most of my hair because they were tired of dealing with it.
    im not dready, but i always add my 2 cents about those vile little buggers.