Blood Oranges FTW

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by TheOnionMan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. TheOnionMan

TheOnionMan Member

Right now in season are the best damn oranges you will ever eat. Blood Oranges they are called. From the outside they look like any other orange, just a tad bit smaller than the Navel Oranges commonly sold. Cutting them up the inside reveals a rich dark crimson color. The flavor is a perfect balance between sweetness and tartness. More sour than a Valencia orange. Not only are these beauties a wonder to behold and eat. They are better for you than regular oranges. The deep red colour in oranges come from a plant pigment called anthocyanin. This pigment is VERY good for you. Due to this pigment blood oranges have a lot more antioxidants in them. Comparable to blueberries, and the much sought after brasilian acai berry. Nutritionists also believe the compound to have anti-inflammatory properties that affect the collagen. As well as preventing cancer, diabetes, and bacterial infections.In addition it is believed that the compound prevents excessive LDL cholesterol accumulation. Like other oranges they are also a source of vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin A, and dietary fiber. Getting that winter under the weather thing going? Grab a few of these beauties and feast. Your immune system will thank you. In the states buy only Florida and California ones, they will be fresher. Occasionally I've seen a Sicilian one in NYC , but I preferred the USA ones. There are 3 main strains of the Blood Orange. Moro, Sanguinello, Tarocco. Right now I'm seeing mostly Moro ones, but the rest should come later in the season. The season lasts from January to mid April. Tarocco is the best, if you find it, you struck gold. Enjoy!

2. Crayola

Crayola =)

I love those :)

3. foresting

foresting Member

They're so yummy. I love the rich colour!

4. DMFP

DMFP Member

Much nicer than any other oranges = yummo:)