Blind & Deaf.. communication?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by velvet, Jan 22, 2005.

1. velvet

velvet Banned

Ok, just arrived in Amsterdam and while I was on the train I was thinking..

Imagine you are blind.. and you want to ask someone for directions. So you try to locate someone and when you find someone you poke them with you stick and ask the question. But what if the person you ask the question is deaf? The can't tell you they are deaf (unless they can speak a little, which a lot of them do, but hey, this is theoretical stuff).. and they can't show you. So now the blind person thinks that the other one is really rude for not saying anything..

Now that's how fights begin :D

Ahhh.. just bullshit because like I said, most of the time deaf people can make some sounds that'll give the blind fellow a hint of what's going on.

Other train of thought while on the train.. :

A guy I knew used to work with people who were blind AND deaf.. they communicated by touching their hands.. like secret handshake kind thingies.. hehe.. but damn.. can you imagine NOT being able to hear or see..

I think I'd become a cook if that ever happens to me.. because I can still feel so (after some practise) I'd know my way in the kitchen and I'd be able to cut stuff.. plus my other senses will compensate for the lack of hearing and seeing as well so I'd have extraordaniry tastebuds and sense of smell.

Would be a bit hard though to see/hear if people like my cooking.. I'd have to crawl on the floor of the restaurant to see if there is puke at the end of the evening.

Plus I'd be famous because it would be extra special.. :D

Yeah.. I think too much :p

2. carsick

carsick Member

wouldnt you be coverd in 1st degree burns being a blind chef

3. velvet

velvet Banned

Why? you can still feel when something is hot.. and once you know your way in the kitchen you'd know where the gas thingies are..

4. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

At one point a few years ago, I remember hearing something about a show called "Cooking Without Looking" which is supposed to help the visually impaired cook with ease. So I'm assuming there has to be a few blind chefs out there.

Come to think of it, there was an old lady at my church when I was a kid. She was completely blind, but made pies, cakes, homemade doughnuts, and fresh bread that she would bring to church with her. I especially loved her peach pie. *salivates over the keyboard.*

5. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

This thread just reminded me of a stupid little movie called "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" starring Richard Pryor as a blind man and Gene Wilder as a deaf man accused of murder who have to work together to clear their names.