bleaching success story

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by jennifericous, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

well id like to thank all of the little people who made my bleaching session a success. a big shout out to fleassy! lol
    well the bleaching was successful, but still not blonde enough. there wasn't enough dye in the box, i will buy another one and do it again, but i might leave it a few days, my hair doesnt feel too happy about it.
    well im going to condition it with aloe vera tomorrow.
    thanks guys!

2. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

also how can i be sure all the bleach is out. i rinsed it alot but it still smells like bleach and i suspect theres a little bit lurking inside my babies.
    and what are the consequences of not getting it all out?

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

what are your reasonings for bleach? I'm not trying to be mean just trying to understand. I don't get why someone who chose a natural hairstyle/lifestyle, lifetime comitment, would chose to do this to their hair. Natural is beautiful and I think you sound beautiful without it. :) Please don't think I'm trying to be rude... I've been biting my lip for days seeing threads about dyed and bleached dreads because I don't understand and I am interested though.

4. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

[​IMG]I was wondering that myself[​IMG]

but you can never know, every one likes to be different
    people just have fun and do what they do [​IMG]

5. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

i didn't choose to have my hair dreadlocked because it was natural, which im not sure if it really is. but i did it because i like dreadlocks and think they are really nice. its not a lifestyle for me, its just a hairstyle. and i have blonde hair and wanted them to be blonde too as they had really darkened.

6. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Not being funny but dreadlocks for a hairstyle is a really strange choice. cos you WILL have to cut them out. Thats a pretty severe hair style, once youve had them a few years they BECOME lifestyle.

And as far as dreads not being natural... if we dont brush our hair... it becomes knotted, if we dont put chemicals and crap in our hair it is natural. Before hair brushes and pantene pro v were invented there were dreadlocks :p Look at animals with long hair, lots of llamas, cammels, monkeys and dogs have dreadlocks too because its what the hair naturally does.

7. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

well thats what i did. so what? it doesn't really affect my lifestyle. all i do is seperate them every morning. i never wash them. i dont mind cutting them out. that'll be a new hairstyle too. i think its nice to keep changing your hair, otherwise it just gets boring. i meant my dreadlocks aren't natural, i put them in there like most people do, hence it being a hairstyle.

8. ArtLoveMusic

You dont wash them :S i could never imagine not washing my dreads.

Im not having a go at you for your decision but i just couldnt imagine haveing dreads and NOT having the change that comew with it. I guess that cos i live in aquite a hippy/folk city and there are LOTS of people with dreads, its kind of like a way of relating to people. I find if im walking through the city or if im up in london or anywhere and i see someone else with dreads theresa conection. Also since ive had dreads poeple have been more open to talking to me. It changes how i have to act when i first meet people/go to interviews because im instantly judged therefore its my job to change their prejudice of me. I didnt think it was possible to get dreads and nothing ever change. But good on ya.

9. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

~shrugs~
    i dont see what the big deal is

10. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

There is no big deal,
    one love, one hair, one earth, one mind.

why separate the love?.. you chose this and you are fine with this...
    Which is beautiful! and you are gaining all your asking for with locks at the moment

... though Fleassy maybe right when he says it will become a lifestyle...

I first did my dreads just cause I liked what they looked like.. i was even going to start a dread company......

but then.... my locks became a part of my lifestyle and who I am. NOT as a fashion.. but as a hole of my body and my spiritual growth...... u may not have this experience but all the power to you girl!!!! love your locks for any reason and forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Bless

11. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Dreads are kinda natural..........I tried twice to dread my hair naturally and then I did the twist and rip method. My dreads are purple and I love em to bits. I don't eat meat, don't shave, don't wear make-up, eat mostly organic, don't drive a car (although I hitchhike), I plant trees for a living. My dreads are purple and I am a natural earthy goddess. Hugs jennifericous.

12. ArtLoveMusic

Your right natural is a frame of mind as well as actions. I dont think anyone was calling her un natural for doing it, just curious as to why she made the choice. So many people ask the same of me but why i chose to dread them in the first place.

I KNOW im not a totally natural person, but i think natural and i beleive in the natural and as i get older i do something a bit better for the world each day. Hecll i might bleach one of my dreads one day and dye it purple (not copying you :p thats just the colour of all my clothes etc :)) but ive always been dubious about bleaching them because its just not healthy for the hair.

13. Earthy Mama

hmmm...I re-read that and didn't see anything mean or nasty said to her. If there was I would have said something to the person and either taken if off the board depending on how offensive it was. Flessy, Buddha and I simply told her what we feel about that and she in turn told us what she felt about it and her reasoning. Nothing mean going on... Just wondering though what did you feel was not so nice about this post?

14. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Natural is being YOU!.. which is what ever one like it to be.. if you eat meat and drive to work in a office all day and go home to your family and then wake up the next morning.. and you feel 100% at peace and happy with your "natural" life.. then hey it sure is natural ..

I'm a strictly Raw Vegan/macrobiotic and eat strictly organic. i don’t even eat sugar...
    I don’t drive either. all my clothes are fair trade and not synthetically made material. and im building a community learning centre for children, so they can grow up and not be harmed or manipulated by Babylon to become enslaved in the unnatural world we are in today.. i also live my life by the 13 moon calendar a natural time calendar. "time is art" not "time is money"..

Now i have stated many things... and as i re-read this i feel a ego jumping from my little fingers onto this page...... these are simply just choices and beliefs i have made throughout my journey on this earth.. they are natural to me and they feel right !

so pretty much every body and every one is natural depending on how u look at it.. maybe not physically, but mentally on a individual level. so yupp natural is a frame of mind.. and not my choice to decide if its a "objective truth" or the "truth" that you put to it

Oh and Mamma, nothing was "not to nice", simple just miscommunication where at the time the original poster(jennifericous) felt unequal, cause the way we stated the question simply made us appear to have more of an “ego”…. Its all just miscommunication… I just want us to be conscious on how we approach things

15. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I was reading the thread and feeling like people were getting down on jenifericious. I'm sensitive-sun, moon, venus and mars all in pisces. If I was her I would've felt hurt. I wasn't sure if I should bleach and dye my hair or not, I thought about it alot before I did it. It's not natural, but I don't think its particularly harmful and undoubtedly beautiful. People, especially women have been decorating themselves for a long time and I don't think theres anything wrong with it per se. As long as it comes from expressing yourself and not conforming. i guess conforming isn't that bad either, I don't know I can see why people do it. So I was reading it and on my moon and thinking, "they may be saying it a a nice way, but it seem s like these people are getting down on this girl. whats with that? I dyed my hair. I know other beautiful natural dready kids with dyed hair. ...and bindis and sparkles."
    I've lived in places with high concentrations of 'hippies' and one thing that really bothers me is snotty hippies. People that don't wanna talk to you if your hair isn't dreaded or people that glare at others for eating meat. Thats not love...you know? I guess I may have mistakenly and ultra sensitively taken some of the posters for snotty hippies. If We were all here in the flesh I would propose a group hug or an Ohm or something.

16. Earthy Mama

lol your cute crystaleyez, I'm glad we're all on the same page now. *group hugs anyone?* ;)

I understand where your coming from. Pointing out your a sensitive pisces I think I should point out I'm a scorpio. I take things as I see them and am very opinionated sometimes. Sometimes I make the mistake of offending or hurting others feelings and not meaning to. I think I have a hard time saying what I mean if that makes sense. If I ever say something that sounds potentially mean please tell me it sounds that way and ask if I meant it that way because half the time I don't want it to come out the way it did. I'm not a bitch(though I'm sure I can be, lol), and one thing I always do is not judge others! I'm sure she and you look beautiful with your colored dreadlocks and if you ever cut one off take a pic of the inside because I am very curious to see how deep the bleach goes in, lol.

17. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Well me my self am a Red Planetary Earth, my tone is 11 and my star-glyph is Caban, connected to Akbal and Men. (Mayan)

And..... for all the zodiac.. I am a Pisces..

but of topic.... if i come across snotty.. please let me know, so i can grow and learn from my self....

18. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Aw...I feel better now. Scorps are cool were sposed to be very compatable.:) I didn't bleach dreads, I bleached hair and dreaded it later. I knew it wouldn't be good for it but I also know that dry damaged hair dreads easier that healthy straight hair. Electricbuddhayou're obviously a peacemaker, I don't think you could come off as a snob if you wanted to. I am a red lunar dragon and in the old count I'm a white crystal worldbridger, which is kinda neat cause my name is Crystal.

19. ArtLoveMusic

*feels left out of all the zodiac talking* ...

...im a gemini sun scorpio moon (and various other others) and i dont know what the other chart is. :S

just thought id throw in my two pence.... or cents... depending on where we are :p

20. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I've got a gemini rising....