Blatant propaganda in Hollywood movies

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I went to my parents' house for dinner tonight, and afterwards they watched Zero Dark Thirty. Wow, what a bunch of bullshit that movie is. The message being sent is that the US government genuinely wants to stop terrorism (when they are the ones carrying out the terrorism), and that torture (waterboarding) is good. It's sad the public is so dumbed-down that they would even find a movie like this to be believable. I watched about half of it before I couldn't take the bullshit any longer. It made me want to puke.

2. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I've never heard of the movie but I support water boarding known terrorists. As long as there is sufficient evidence proving guilt. It's a catch 22 though because I don't trust the US government to follow the rules.

3. Pressed_Rat

lol... why??

If we want to waterboard terrorists, we should start with our own CIA, since they're the ones who are really behind "al-Qaeda."

But even then, waterboarding has been proven to be ineffective, since someone who is being subjected to such a thing will say just about anything they believe their captors want to hear, even if it's completely false.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Military's been inside Hollywood for decades, shaping public opinion, manufacturing consent...Platoon, Topgun, FMJ, all those and more...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/...e-over-hollywoods-representation-of-military/

"Hollywood heavyweight Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of “Black Hawk Down,” “Top Gun” and “Pearl Harbor,” said the horse-trading with the Pentagon is about finding a practical compromise.
    “If we feel it’s hurting the integrity of the film, then we won’t do it. And if they think it’s going to hurt their image, then they won’t do it,” he said in “Operation Hollywood.”

5. LetLovinTakeHold

Compared to what they do to our soldiers, and even their own people, water boarding is a walk in the park.

You may be right about it being ineffective, but I don't have any sympathies for people who take innocent life. That includes the CIA and whatever other American groups who are committing the same crimes.

6. Pressed_Rat

What they do to our soldiers???

Da fuk?!?!?!?!

Seriously, man?

We're over in their fucking country. What would we do to them if they were over here?? I mean, probably nothing, since a bunch of terrorists are already running shit in this country and the majority of people apparently couldn't care less.

I must say I am a little disappointed in you, man. I thought you were more awake than that.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I saw an interview with Jessica Chastain from Zero Dark Thirty and she said the government only allowed them to film in places restricted to the US military if the government approved the script.

8. Pressed_Rat

Well there you go.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAITxlCsj4Y"]Metallica - Kill 'Em All [Full Album] - YouTube

10. Pressed_Rat

11. deviate

deviate Senior Member

And the only one I own! :cheers2:

..wait, I might have the black album also.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I had a similar reaction with Lincoln, what a load of horseshit, nothing like the way it would have been

13. LetLovinTakeHold

I used to share a similar view. Most of my family is in the military, and a lot of them I might call brainwashed, or "asleep"......but not all of them. First hand stories and photographic evidence is the reason I stand where I stand.

14. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

If you guys want to see extreme US govt propaganda bullshit look no further than 'Olympus has Fallen'.

Made me fucking sick - wake up America!!!

15. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

What are you all upset about..this crap as far as I remember has been going on since Steven Seagal and Rambo. I wouldn't pay to see such movies, but sometimes its fun to watch them on TV when there is nothing better to do.
    As far as 0 dark 30 I think its utter bullshit if we are talking about facts. But as far as entertainment goes, I found Steven Seagal's movies much more entertaining.

16. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

You seem to underestimate people all the time. Ofcourse many of us can watch movies for its entertainment purpose and not be totally awestruck by the propaganda. All Hollywood movies are propaganding the "American way of life" and most of us just laugh at it and take it for what it is: dumb entertainment.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Also I watched Die Hard 5 on the weekend.

I did like it, was a fun movie, but it was kind of ridiculous

It was like, ok we are Americans, lets go into Russia and fuck around with their internal politics.

And there is one part where they are running around Chernobyl, the baddies have radiation suits and a magic spray that eliminates radiation. And the goodies just walk in, no radiation suits nothing. It was like WTF.

If it wasnt entertaining, I'd be like, bloody americans

18. odonII

odonII O

Well, I think the the director would disagree with you.

Where in the film does it suggest 'water-boarding is good'?

Have you just jumped on another band-wagon?

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I thought the movie did better than most in showing how intelligence work is done.

20. odonII

odonII O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azf320JDdqU"]Reefer Madness (1937) - YouTube