Blair got something he didn't expect

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Nistix, May 19, 2004.

1. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

You say that, and yet so far history has proved you wrong. There's no sign of massive social change, and there never has been.

I think you need to broaden your social circle! Either you're talking about your specific peer group of hippies, or else you live in a very enlightened part of the world! And having visited Stoke, I somehow doubt that!

The world has become an increasingly materialistic and selfish place in recent history. You only have to look at sales figures for tabloid newspapers to see where peoples' heads are at. Look at the viewing figures for soap operas. People don't want to tune in, they want to turn off.

Sure, the hippy movement is in a reasonably healthy state, but even that's declined since the late eighties and early nineties. Thatcher managed to create a fantastic subculture by oppressing so many groups of people, but now that Britain is kinda back on its feet, it becomes very evident just how shallow a lot of people are. As soon as the big issues are no longer causing people immediate concern, they forget about the wider picture.

Shit, just go check out a student union! They were political hot beds not that long ago. In the eighties, uni bars were being named after Nelson Mandela. Now they're calling them after twats off Big Brother!

Sorry to be rude, but 'bollocks' is the only thing I really have to say about that. It's just another variant on the many wacky cosmic theories that are in circulation. You should really visit Glastonbury - if that sort of thing floats your boat, we've got it in spades! It always strikes me as kind of strange how this knowledge is only imparted to so-called psychics. Funny, but you'd think if there was about to be an imminent shift in global consciousness, then maybe the powers that be could find a slightly less esoteric way to impart this knowledge. But hey! I know! Let's just impart it to a select few middle class hippies and allow them to cash in on it! They could run workshops, retreats, publish books.... kinda like capitalism, really.

Have you joined a cult, by any chance? isn't this a tad hypocritical? A few moments ago you were talking about disrupting things for rich people just to piss them off. You don't deliberately piss people off out of love!

Well that wasn't very psychic! I assumed no such thing. It was simply an example of a counter-culture activity. And making ballot cards void is not going to usher in the new age, it's simply going to result in even fewer people actually giving a shit about the politics that affect their lives.

Huh? Well memory is far from fact. Memory is subjective interpretation of perceived events. Given that many people will remember the same event differently, that just doesn't stand up. Added to which, a uniform acceptance of memory as a rigid structure is hardly very new age either.

Are you joking? Have you studied history at all? Politics has always been a farce. In fact, there's a good case to be made that it's actually more grounded now in reality than it ever has been in the past.

What a patronising load of shite. I'm quite capable of appreciating the wonder and beauty of the world without needing to be force-fed some sentimental hippy notion of the new age. It's perfectly possible to live life with an open heart and mind without rejecting reality - which is what you seem to be suggesting. An acceptance of reality does not imply being 'stuck' in the nature of what is real, anymore than rampant optimism implies that you're out of your face on drugs and out of touch with reality!

Nor can I. It says perfectly "do what you want boys and girls. The hippies are too apathetic to oppose you".

Bollocks. The government have no interest in closing the public gallery beyond their own personal safety. What, exactly, would it achieve?

Back to your new-age rant though. Y'know, you sound a lot like a fundie christian. You've got an idea that's backed up with no solid evidence beyond the personal subjective experience of a few individuals, and yet you project it out as though it is an unarguable truth that we're all incredibly foolish if we ignore. I'm glad you've found something that floats your boat, but it is, by definition, a religious view of the world. Now I consider myself spiritual, but I certainly don't have the arrogance to assume that I have all the answers, and know for a fact how the world's going to pan out - and I have a serious aversion to those that spout such rigid philosophies. Just because you've fallen in with a few psychics, it does not give you a hot-line to god. You no more know what the future holds in store for us than anyone else. By closing your mind to all other possibilities, you are accepting in another form the same kind of rigid conditioning that is stereotypical of the whole fucked up patriarchal age that you're meant to be rejecting in the first place!

2. DoktorAtomik

And what if little green men are about to land and invite us all to Venus?

Yes, yes. Heard it all before. Cosmic conspiracy stoner crap. Heard it originally back in the eighties, actually, and there's no more evidence of it now that there was then - which is kinda funny considering at the time we were being told that the coming changes would be apparent by the start of the new millennium.

So basically, things you'd notice if you were... ummm.. stoned?

Bollocks. You're assuming that your motivations are pure, which is a massive arrogance. People have killed people because they think they're listening to their intuition. My intuition tells me something different from yours, so how come you get to be right and I get to be wrong?

What the fuck? Why exactly is this unfortunate for me?

There's nothing wrong with idealism, so long as it's grounded in reality. Otherwise, you end up perpetuating the systems that you're so opposed to.

Y'know, it's funny that. I've still yet to meet someone with a past life experience who though they used to be a pig farmer in Atlantis. It's always the keeper of the fucking crystals or something. What an absolute fucking arrogance. You're welcome to state whatever you believe to be the truth, but to convince yourself that it's a certain knowledge to the exclusion of all else is religious extremism of the worst variety!

I can't be assed to read any more of this shite. In typical fashion, you've undermined your own argument. You ramble on about being an ancient, and having been incarnate for many more lives than others, yadda yadda important and special yadda yadda yadda.... and yet two facts stick out in my mind. Firstly, the one lesson that you need to learn if you want to progress spiritually is to SHED THE FUCKING EGO!!! And yet, here you are, telling us what a superior being you are - right from the ego. Second up, for a creature filled with love and compassion, you sure were spouting a whole load of racist bile in your previous incarnation on these boards.

3. DoktorAtomik

Yes yes. Typical cultist arrogance. I don't accept what you believe, therefore I can't possibly be as educated on the subject as yourself.

You and every other fucking hippy!

No, you've made it pretty clear from your post. You think you're an 'indigo child', you think you're an 'ancient’, you think you're a psychic, you think there's going to be a quantum shift in consciousness that will elevate mankind onto a totally new level around 2012, as per the mayan prophecies. I could go on, but I think that about sums it up. Didn’t decide what kind of person you were, you explained it quite clearly for yourself.

Of course, if this in itself wasn't sufficient to brand you as an arrogant and deluded cultist, you go on to say stuff like...

Typically meaningless psychobabble. What do you know about me? Unlike yourself, I haven't chosen to share my spiritual beliefs in this thread. But because my world view does not conform with your own, you immediately brand me with the label of an 'outsider'. 'One of them'. 'Part of the problem'. This is very typical of cultist thinking. Rather than respond rationally to those with whom you disagree, it's easier to dismiss them and their views by sticking them in some little pigeon hole that suits your deluded world view. This saves you from actually needing to provide a rational explanation of your cult thinking. ‘A man stranded in the headlights of the past’ indeed! That’s funny! You got a chuckle outta me on that one, I have to say. You sound just like a preacher!

The arrogance of this is breathtaking, coming from someone who's just told us that they're an ancient, an indigo child, they've been born with more knowledge than their parents ever had, yadda yadda yadda. But again, this is typical of cult thinking. Anybody else has a strong opinion and it's arrogance, but the cultist has total commitment to their belief system that involves them being superior to everyone else, and this is just faith. Quality.

This is laughable. It demonstrates brilliantly how much you're leaping to conclusions about me that you're totally ill-equipped to reach. I agree entirely that reality is a personal construct, and I suspect I know a damn site more about the subject than you'd imagine. It's even funnier hearing you tell me that my own reality isn't based on 'very strong spiritual and self awareness', when this has in fact been the driving force of most of my life, from a very early age. This again shows your deluded self-importance. Someone doesn't agree with you, and so they can't possibly be spiritual or self-aware! They must be arrogant, stuck in the old ways yadda yadda yadda.

Excuse me? That one passed me right by! I don't give a shit how you raise your son!

You're way off the mark. It was the rest of your ramblings that brought me to that conclusion. I think I covered that one earlier.

You're not making sense. What places are you talking about, exactly? There's always been good in the world, but I suspect the fact that you've only recently noticed it has led you into this evangelical zeal of believing it's a new phenomenon that will lead to... ummm.... the fulfilment of the (dubious) mayan prophecies. The real arrogance is again yours, since you perceive lack of agreement as lack of self-awareness.

What I find particularly distasteful is your continuing assumption that your world-view is the only right one (are you noticing the fundie parallel here again?). You constantly assume that because I don’t agree with your world-view, I must be less self-aware, less intuitive, less optimistic blah blah blah, when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. You know, it's possible to understand the reality of the problems facing the world without it making you a pessimist. It's possible to disbelieve spiritual conspiracy theories without it stopping you from being spiritual. It's also possible to have an understanding of history without buying into the paradigm that created it. And it's certainly possible to reject bullshit whilst still being self-aware.

I've lived my whole life on the principles of self-awareness and intuition, and here you are rejecting that fact simply because I don't agree with you. The arrogance of that is astounding.

Very full of the love vibes. I'm not going to worry too much though, as you'll probably be too mashed to throw straight :p

4. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

i only found out about this recently and i must say i think it's a good thing. tony blair is such a comical character..:p