Black History Month

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That's the future! ;)

2. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

No just do a little of your own research. You'll see that the north used the slave trade as well.

3. Asmodean

That is a common fact nobody is denying.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Probably slaves back in Africa too, wouldn't surprise me.

5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Just referred to the exchange between 6 eye and OF.

6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Very much is. There was a piece on one of the news outlets that showed I think it was either in Syria or Africa that showed open sales of captured blacks into slavery. There were buyers for each one of them. None of the participants were white. Although it never showed a buyer so I will qualify that to that extent.

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Yes, there were slaves in Africa.. States like Mali and Songhai thrived as a result of the Trans-Saharan slave trade, and when the Alantic slave trade opened up, the kingdoms of Ashanti and Benin became prominent suppliers. An East African/ Indian Ocean slave trade developed mainly to supply Arab markets.

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

No I mean currently as in like in the last year or so. The Muslim terrorist were selling them. Just can't remember the specifics.

9. Asmodean

"The innkeeper trusts his guests like he is himself" ;)

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Eric! likes this.
  11. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I did. And I likely will again.

12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Asking where you dug up all that info on Di Lorenzo. You may have crafted that paragraph yourself, but may I ask what sources you dug up to find this? It looks like it was pulled right out of a hit piece written by someone from the “Lincoln cult” he mentions in his book. Got a source from your googling?

Also, what FACTS do you have that a modern Confederate States of America would still be a slave based economy? Would they not have had any part in the industrial revolution? You know, that revolution where innovations in technology took over the work of slaves? If one machine can do the work of a dozen slaves, why keep the slaves? Slaves require feeding, lodging, and basic necessities to stay alive to do the work.

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Only a warmonger would believe the solution to anything, is war itself

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Asking where I got information and saying it was practically "copied and pasted.. Almost word for word" are very different things. The anonymity of the Forum saves you from finding out the difference the hard way. I was introduced to DiLorenzo through his earlier book The Real Abraham Lincoln. The newer one is more of the same. Any rational reader would notice the polemical tone--just as any rational reader could discern that Breitbart, Fox, and InfoWars have axes to grind. You've chosen to live in an alternate universe: Fake news, fake history. The guy isn't an historian, and is quite extreme in attacking our present Constitution as undemocratic. He's also, BTW, an apologist for the tobacco industry. Cancerscam: The Diversion of Federal Cancer Funds to Politics; Unhealthy Charities Thomas J. DiLorenzo - SourceWatch
    Dismissing his critics as part of "the Lincoln cult" is a typical pre-emptive gambit comparable to the Fox/ Trump efforts to paint the FBI and government intelligence as somehow suspect sources. After all, what would reputable Civil War historians know? Surely a right wing ideologue economist is the trustworthy source on Lincoln.
    Here are some articles you might find enlightening:
    LINCOLN UNMASKED by Thomas J. DiLorenzo | Kirkus Reviews
    A Civil War Historian’s Review of DiLorenzo’s “Lincoln Unmasked”
    Nonfiction Book Review: Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe by Thomas J. DiLorenzo, Author . Crown Forum $22.95 (223p) ISBN 978-0-307-33841-9
    The Libertarian Attack on Abraham Lincoln by Gregory Hilton
    Getting Lincoln Right - The Objective Standard
    DiLorenzo Rebuttal
    Debate continues over ‘The Real Lincoln’
    Battlefield Wanderings: Lincoln Unmasked by DiLorenzo
    Thomas DiLorenzo - RationalWiki
    Lincoln Unmasked - Wikipedia

As for the eventual obsolescence of southern slavery because of the Industrial Revolution, it may be that the South would have industrialized to the point that automation would obviate the need for slave labor. It hasn't happened yet; ergo the attractiveness of Third World countries to multinationals in search of coolie labor. But that's not really a point I consider worth arguing about. Obviously, slavery would have continued for some time in the future had the Confederacy continued, and any time is too long for such a horrendous institution to exist. Also, the Union would have been threatened by the secessionist precedent. Come to think of it, losing the South might not have been all bad, if it wouldn't have perpetuated slavery. We'd be rid of a chunk or kneejerk supporters of the "Party of Lincoln."

Peace at any price? Better red than dead? Not me. If that makes me a warmonger, so be it!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

No it wasn't that one. It clearly showed black Muslims selling black males. They even gave English subtitles so you knew what they were saying. They were selling them for like $400 each. Describing them as strong backs, made for digging and various other things.

I do know about the Boka Harum thing where they sold the girls into slavery as well.

*Edit* .Here I found it.

What You Need to Know About the Libyan Slave Trade

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Wow! I wasn't aware of this. It is really shocking! Unfortunately, slavery isn't confined to Africa. There appears to be some of it going on in the good ol' USA today.
    US Admits Modern-Day Slavery Exists at Home
    Modern-Day Slavery in America
    This Is What Modern-Day Sex Slavery In America Looks Like

And of course ISIS has contributed, especially regarding sex slavery of the non-Muslim Yazidi women. https://nypost.com/2016/07/05/this-is-the-face-of-the-isis-sex-slave-market/
    Yezidi Girl Who Escaped Isis Sex Slavery: Please Help Us
    Roughly 3,000 women and girls are sold on ISIS sex slave market

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I stoped eating seafood unless I know for a fact it is locally caught after reading this article a couple of years ago.

This won a Pulitzer prize (and is one reason why I hate when "the media" is scapegoated. The world needs journalists - but that's a discussion for another day I suppose)

AP Investigation: Slaves may have caught the fish you bought

I find it ironic that modern society is so quick to condemn the triangle slave trade (because of course! That's a moral black and white area) while turning an eye to how we all benefit from really inhumane labor practices, if not outright slavery, today. Morality is only black and white when looking into the past I suppose

Asmodean likes this.
  18. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

They just gotta go maximum oreleus on their asses. Being back the coloseum and have them fight for freedom!

That must have been pretty hard to imagine back then lol. I guess you're pretty much dead anyway, so you just gotta go full berserker and fight until you get a pardon.

20. Asmodean

You mean you want to be reminded? Or you just gonna 'forget', like on purpose and can't be bothered after all?