Black History Month

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 7, 2018.

1. David0301

David0301 Members

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: racist :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: even his allegedly "own blood" children were miraculously white, not the slightest trace of black, remember? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen:tearsofjoy: yep thats racist
    Thats MJ without make up

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Michael Jackson had other mental issues.

David0301 likes this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Back to US black history

"The Republic of Liberia began as a settlement of the American Colonization Society (ACS), who believed black people would face better chances for freedom in Africa than in the United States.[7] The country declared its independence on July 26, 1847. The United Kingdom was the first country to recognize Liberia's independence.[8] The U.S. did not recognize Liberia's independence until during the American Civil War on February 5, 1862. Between January 7, 1822, and the American Civil War, more than 15,000 freed and free-born black people who faced legislated limits in the U.S., and 3,198 Afro-Caribbeans, relocated to the settlement."

This ACS had former US presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison as its supporters, Madison the ACS's president at one stage

Basically they sent 18,000 "free" black people back to Africa, the country Liberia was started from this

Asmodean likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Agreed :p

5. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

An excellent book of history, of the black people of the Caribbean, specifically from St Thomas and the struggles to exist in a white man's world.
    Written by a native Virgin Islander, while technically a novel, it is an expose of the culture and history of the VI through several generations.
    [​IMG]
    Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique

Reading this book was like walking on the bones of my past, through the alleys and to the beaches of my youth. Perfect reading for Black History Month.

6. Asmodean

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Liberia has a lot of southern style architecture because of this.

Liberia is the country Abraham Lincoln wanted to deport America’s black populace to.

He may’ve sighed the emancipation proclamation, but he was a racist bastard. Few know this.

8. Asmodean

He was a bastard as well?? Never knew. Impressive a bastard can (could) become president of the USA. Now I can finally accept that the 'american dream' is a real thing :grinning:

Not sure how much you would like your country if he didn't have the impact he had. Almost every historical figure can be perceived as a nasty fucker if we look from our current situation. Context remains everything. Definitely also in history and looking back on historic societies, their norms and values and how it shaped perception (btw: I'm not defending any atrocities by stating this, just to be sure)

Another example that comes to mind: how do you perceive Mandela? I still regard him as a hero (not to be confused with superhuman), even if there may be some righteous points of critic on some of his actions earlier in life.

Another (hypothetical perhaps, but bare with me) example: what if M. Luther King would have been a raging homophobe? Would he suddenly also be perceived as a bastard by you then? Or your own grandpa perhaps. It was really fairly common. But maybe the positive changes they triggered in a time when few people did it like that is much more telling. Just some thoughts

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If Mandela wasnt put in prison, he probably would have ended up a terrorist, he was an angry young man at one stage

10. David0301

David0301 Members

these people used to have lots of land, just as the french or british, less of course, bit still a bit. I never knew either , until i recently found out that many islands in the carribeans "lesser antilles" right above south america belong/ed to the netherlands. also there is a country in SOUTHAMERICA where people speak and are dutch, it is the official language there and im not kidding = SURINAME

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The south needed the labour to keep up supply to europe, particularly france and england. Who hypocritically were against slavery, but traded with the south because stuff was cheaper and they had more influence

The emancipation proclamation was more about telling the europeans, hey stop sending these guys money. you are supporting slavery and they are getting too powerful. i.e it was about power, not about slavery

He could have easily avoided the war and united the country if the north had just compensated the south to free the slaves and pay them. And if the South had won at Sharpsburg, he probably would have taken a more diplomatic approach and thats exactly what would have happened

Plenty of evidence otherwise to suggest Lincoln never thought the races were equal

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

New York City started off as a dutch colony

David0301 likes this.
  13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

The Lenape might disagree...

Meliai and Orison like this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Was originally called New Netherland, and Manhattan called New Amsterdam.

The Lenape like their brothers originally came from Siberia. Manhattan come from their language, means island of many hills

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No, Lincoln was not a racist bastard . He didn't like slavery but had to play a political role in order to get elected. Read a Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin if you care to read about his run to the White House. If you don't care, then that's the way it goes.

16. 6-eyed shaman

I read the book Lincoln Unmasked.

It was a disturbing eye-opener.

He married into the Todd family, who were wealthy slave traders

17. 6-eyed shaman

Well it looks like the Obama presidential portrait has been revealed. This will go down in history.

[​IMG]

It looks like he's floating in mid space in front of a tacky wall paper. it's odd he's got a 6th finger on his left hand.

18. Asmodean

Doesn't sound like an atrocity on itself. With what intent?

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I thought it was common knowledge that Lincoln was racist.

Anyway, I only see four fingers on Obama's left hand. What are you talking about, 6?

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Also looks like they Jimmy Cartered his face