black hair

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by elitesaint666, Oct 4, 2007.

1. elitesaint666

elitesaint666 Member

I have straight black hair, but the problem is that it’s like dry and frizzy with no shine; I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to get it really DARK and SHINY, help please, I want to grow it but I hate how it looks when it’s long so i just cut it..

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

sounds like it wants moisture.
    what is your current hair routine?
    what type of shampoo and conditioner do you use? do you brush or comb it? do you use a blow-fryer (not a typo)?

3. elitesaint666

elitesaint666 Member

i only use Pantene thats it, i don't blow fry or anything else, so what do you suggest.

4. drumminmama

some hair hates -cones, which Pantene has a lot of (dimethecone and its relatives coat the hair).
    Switch to a shampoo that has NOTHING with the syllable "cone" on the label.
    Also, a conditioner is a must unless you have dreads, and dreads cannot be shiny by their very nature.
    A weekly treatment that will load your hair up with moisture is olive oil.
    slather it on, cover with a shower cap, wrap that in a towel to trap body heat and in an hour, or the next morning, wash it out (put shampoo in before getting the hair wet. I don't fully know why this works but it does. I think oil floating on the water is too tight of an ionic bond, but that's just a guess.

For grins and giggles, try rinsing your hair in a quart of water with a half to full cup of apple cider vinegar (the reddish-brown stuff) and see if that helps.

and check out www.longhaircommunity.com

have to play nice there.

5. elitesaint666

elitesaint666 Member

thank you so much

6. Lilium

Lilium Member

You can try vinegar. I'm not too sure about the dry/moisture issue, but it get's it SO shiney.
    Hope it helps somewhat...

7. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

2-3 drops of olive oil on a brush and brushed through.

worked for me when I had mid-back length hair

if you have to strip oils out of your hair, use vinegar, it works as a degreaser, but if you need moisture, give the olive oil a try.

just don't mix the two or you'll smell like a salad.

8. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Make sure you dont used the 2-n-1 shampoo and conditioner products, make sure you use a GOOD conditioner, as well as a leave in conditioner to comb through your hair. Try not to use to many heat products on your hair, if you do. Find a blowdryer with a 'cool' setting option. There are many 'hair serum' products out there which you can rub through your tresses to add extra shiny, and it looks gorgeous! Have fun.

9. Independent

Independent Member

Putting apple-vinegar in your hair after shampooing will make it more shiny and healthy.It is better than all conditioners,and have used since "that" times..:)

Also using egg as a hair mask, you can take egg and separate the white from the yolk.Then apply the yolk on your wet hair,live for 10-20 min .Then wash. :)

Also many woman use instead of conditioner white bear ,it helps too..White bear ,because dark bear give your hair dark tint ,and white bear has weaker smell than dark bear.. :cheers2:

10. drumminmama

would that be BEER?

11. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

Drumminmama- Yep, Independent means beer. She's not a native english speaker. Anyway, light beer or dark beer either one can be used for conditioner, but i hated smelling like I just crawled out of a bar.

12. Independent

Independent Member

ohh yes ,beer ..sorry it was mistake :) thanks drumminmama :)

13. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

Pantene tests on animals. Just a thought, although I know they have nice hair products.

14. *josai*

*josai* Member

have you ever tried ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OIL

i have thick, dark, wavy hair that has a tendency towards dryness & rosemary essential oil is what i use. frequently, i have people come up to me on the street (seriously) & ask me how i keep my hair so shiny. i am such a low-maintenance mama that this makes me laugh out loud!!!
    i only use all natural shampoos/conditioners, sometimes i make them myself, sometimes i buy them.
    after wahing, when my hair is still wet, i put rosemary essential oil on it. i don't blow-fry either & haven't for over a decade
    you could even add the essential oil to that weekly olive oil treatment drumminmama mentioned
    & the apple cider vinegar is good too, especially if you have an itchy scalp when your hair gets too dry....i've even infused my vinegar with herbs for dark hair, like rosemary, sage, nettle