Black (afro) hair

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Graftin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Graftin

Graftin Member

Hey guys n gals, this is my first post!
    Im goin to an afro salon tomorrow to look into gettin reads.

Im just wonderin if there are any mixed/black people here who have afro hair.
    I've looked around and all i can find is white straight hair'd people with dreads.
    (which is totally cool) Our hair is different, knotts differently and needs different attention.
    So yeah, just wonderin if anybody with afro hair could give me some pointers on how to look after my locks etc....

Any comments from any race with knowledge is all good! (this sounds so bad, lol, i dont at all see any barrier in race, i live with my mother who is white, all my mates are white etc.... just need to get this sorted due to different hair types, so no offence!!!! xxxx)

Anyway thanks for ur time!

Peace & love

2. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

What are they gonna do at the salon? Because I often hear that people with afro hair start dreads by making twists or braids first. But I guess it's not much different from straight hair. It will probably lock up faster so keep them seperated by ripping them apart. Also afro hair gets dry faster so you shouldn't stop conditioning your hair.

Hope this will help you.

peace & love

3. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

Imus is a bigot & should have lost his job. He is closed minded and will get his someday (seems like he already did though, has anyone actually seen the guy, he is HIDEOUS!).

Good luck on your journey.

4. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

hes like 90 years old. his ideas are old fashioned... and theres no way they will change by the end of his life. i just watch colbert make fun of that situation, it was hilarious. he was suspended for 2 weeks

5. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

it doesn't dread up on it's own?

my 4 year old is mixed.. and her hair will dread up over night if she wanted it too (we keep it in loose braids for now)

and why go to a salon? they're just gonna charge you money to mess up your hair by putting wax and other products you probably do NOT need in there to dread it..

RESEACH more before wasting your money

6. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

Do not go to a salon just twist them yourself. My aunt is mixed but has more straighter hair but my afro friends I twist em (to see what happens im a curious white person) and they wound up being fine. Forinstance Bob Marley only washed his hair w/ pure water and his locks were awesome. And natural. Trust me no salon they'll put wax in...