Biological Clock

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by CantAffordLife, May 1, 2007.

1. CantAffordLife

CantAffordLife Member

At what point in our lifetime does our body stop growing and begin dying?
    is ther such a point?

2. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 Senior Member

well you could argue that the act of growing itself is the beginning of death

3. s0ma

s0ma Member

I don't believe that there is such a point because death is the result of something going wrong with the body, like a disease or accident, not some sort of reverse-growing process. You could say that you "grow" until all the functions of your body are developed (brain, organs, etc.) into their adult forms and then you begin dying when cancer develops, or in the split second when you have a car crash and your organs are all jostled around and such. Very interesting question. : )

4. floydianslip6

that's not necessarily true s0ma, old age is a cause of death, nothing specific needs to "go wrong"

5. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

6. Belial

Belial Member

WELL NOW, to be completely honest, as my biology teacher back in the good old days said, our bodies are dying while we are awake, and the only time we are fully healthy, and fully there, is when we are completely asleep.

Think about it....You are dying right now...Ever single second you sit at this pathetic computer, you are dying slowly. You stay awake for too long, and you will never be able to live again...Worthless bunch of bull isn't it? To live life means that you are dying...But to sleep eternally, means that you never lived life....Yeah, that's a mind fuck.

7. floydianslip6

Well, that's a little flawed only in that if you have a pre-existing condition that's killing you, even in your sleep you're dying. Moreover, even if you are sleeping time is still ticking for your body and your systems, eventually they will shut down and you will die whether you "lived life" or not.

Plus, what your teacher probably meant was when you're asleep your body is rebuilding, but the systems that rebuild can also die since there are LOTS of cells with LOTS of jobs in your body. Not just a switch for build/die.

One last thought, sleeping for long periods of times will cause a degeneration of every single part of your body since it's never getting any USE. It would be the same effects seen on people who are bed ridden.

8. CantAffordLife

CantAffordLife Member

thinking more about it....a toddler is developing and maturing yet they are still moving closer to their "Death Date"

i'll rephrase the question....

after you are done maturing and physically growing....when do you actually begin "dying"

9. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

Well looking at it that way, you begin dying the moment you're conceived.

10. NecroDynamic

NecroDynamic Banned

We are all slowly dying!

No, but seriously, I would say it's different for every individual. I know people who have, sadly, died from cancer at the age of 14, whereas my great aunt lived a long, healthy life until she was in her 90's. It really depends on the individual's genes, health, and probably even their attitude.

11. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Popular theory says that it begins the very second you draw your FIRST breath.
    Our job is to make the MOST of it that you can.