Bill Gates' mouse won't behave

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by feral, Apr 2, 2007.

1. feral

feral Member

This might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.... does anyone know of a cordless mouse that works reliably with a kvm switch? Coz the Microsoft laser mouse I just spent £30 on doesn't.....

2. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

i have a Targus mouse. it is wireless and a laser mouse. i bought it at Walmart too. it seems to work in Linux and OSX with no probs. hotplugs in and just works. i tried it with windows once and both my USB keyboard and mouse stopped working. i had to reboot 4 times before they started working.

yes... i had to use Windows to put in a job application for the company BP (previously British Petroleum).

3. sentient

sentient Senior Member

That will be a big problem for you, but sometimes its not the mouse thats the problem but the computer make/model try the setup on a different make and model of pc, if that doesnt work its the mouse at fault, but you have to remember that the KVM gets its power from the ps2 or usb port (5v) and it will not operate with anything usually that is not absolutely standard. They are a bit tricky to use with some stuff, I have used 3 kvm switches and never yet found a cordless mouse that works them, lets face it even some corded mice dont work with them - but that could be down to the computers as I found swapping the kvm setup to other computers sometimes did work with corded mice that previously seemed broke. I have NEVER successfully used cordless mice on KVM

4. feral

feral Member

Yeh, I thought that might be the case... the KVM is running between my fileserver/printserver and my main PC (running all my CAD software). I've tried this morning attaching a different pc to the KVM and server, but still have the same problem. I think you're right, it's not going to work. It's hardly the end of the world, just thought it'd be nice to get rid of a few cables...! Looks like one of my friends is going to get a cheap laser mouse... lol

5. sentient

sentient Senior Member

6. feral

feral Member

Thanks sentient, I'll have a look around, I suppose someone should be able to do it - it's hardly rocket science is it...?

I could probably do with a new KVM anyway, the one I've got is 2 port and I might want to add more PCs, so I won't feel like I'm starting to replace all my hardware just to make a cordless mouse work...!

7. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I've only ever used Winblows. But, I too think laser-mice SUCK infected Donkey Dicks.
    No pointer control when you want down to the pixel accuracy.