Big UK/Euro upcoming bands..

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alixney, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Alixney

Alixney Member

Can anyone give me the lowdown on some big, up-and-coming bands from the UK and Europe. Not the ones we already know about but some that are hugely popular and have not broken the US yet. Looking for Brit-Pop, subculture, rock and punk acts specifically.

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I'm really digging The Libertines right now. I love Oasis, and they are coming out with a new album in May. I also hear great things about The Killers, Kazabian (sp?), and Franz Ferdinand, but I am too lazy too download much of their stuff. But thatll change today...

3. goldmund

goldmund Member

The Mars Mushrooms are actually really good, more of a psychedelic sound, but really very very good.
    Also has anyone heard of the Mars Volta? (the mars thing is not a fetish, i promise :) ) Also incredible, I don't know if they are European or not. I actually think they are from LA. They are playing in Germany/Netherlands in March! More of an edgy hardcore sound. Bassist from Long Beach Dub All Stars.

4. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

The Holiday Plan. <3

Okay, so not hugely popular.. but a good band. They're nice guys too.

5. Alixney

Alixney Member

Tell me about these guys, The Holiday Plan...any website?

6. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

haha im glad you like the Mars Volta but you have them a bit off. The Widow, the new single off their unreleased cd is on the radio now. New cd francis the mute comes out March 1st. www.fancisthemute.com

They are a US based band, settling in LA, i think that much you got. On the original studio album, Flea from the red hot chili peppers was on bass, and John frusciante helped alot with the guitars, Rick Rubin produced it, and the thing was started up by ex singer and guitarist from At the Drive In Omar and Cedric. otherwise when the band tours they are
    THE MARS VOLTA
    De-Loused In The Comatorium
    (GSL/Strummer/Universal)

Cedric Zavala - Vocals
    Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - Guitar
    Jon Theodore - Drums
    Juan Alderete - Bass
    Isaiah Owens - Keyboards

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Julio Venegas, an artist from El Paso, Texas, committed suicide in 1996. A free spirit and noted provocateur, "He was definitely someone who lived life to the fullest," remembers his friend, Cedric Bixler Zavala. "Toward the end, he acquired a really bad limp from being in a coma. He had tons of scars all over his body and some of his closer friends used to call him Frankenstein. He had big cut marks on his throat, welts and bruises and bumps, and his arm had been shriveled up from shooting up rat poison. He acquired so many scars it was like a walking map."

When Cedric sang for At The Drive-In, he wrote a lyric--‘Embroglio’ on 1996’s Acrobatic Tenement--about Venegas, who had killed himself while that band were rehearsing. "I didn’t feel it really did him justice," he continues, "I felt like a whole record should be dedicated to him."

That record is De-Loused In The Comatorium, the astonishing first album by The Mars Volta. De-Loused In The Comatorium is an iridescent, fearless, brain-busting hour of music, a fictionalized celebration of Julio Venegas’ life. Based on a story written by Cedric, it is a concept album in which the hero tries to commit suicide by overdosing on morphine. Instead of dying, he falls into a coma for a week, and experiences fantastic adventures in his dreams, elemental battles between the good and bad aspects of his conscience. At the end, he emerges from the coma, but chooses to die.

Ambitious stuff, plainly, but we’ve learned to expect as much from Cedric and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. As Omar says, "We do have a really solid ideology, and part of that is to always grow and not have your ideas be the same as they were last year." In At The Drive-In, Cedric’s linguistic somersaults were rooted by straightforwardly anthemic post-hardcore. Now, the music is as imaginative and uncompromising as the words: De-Loused In The Comatorium consists of eight continually shifting tracks which variously recall Led Zeppelin, Fugazi, Jane’s Addiction, Can, Santana, Spirit, ‘70s Miles Davis, ambient Dub… and even At The Drive-In, very occasionally. It’s unapologetically progressive music: unencumbered by genre, unafraid of seriousness, reverberating with new ideas at every turn.

"I guess the concept of prog music is always frowned upon," says Cedric. "It was the dinosaur that the new kids wanted to take down. But I just hope people don’t picture some keyboard player in a cape trying to present this music as Mars Volta On Ice. We have our feet a little bit more planted in the ground, there is a lot more punk aesthetic involved in what we do." For Cedric and Omar, The Mars Volta also represents an escape, a way of freeing themselves from rigorous but limited music.

At the turn of the millennium, At The Drive-In’s kinetic updating of punk had made them one of the most dynamic bands on the planet. Returning from a European tour in early 2001, however, Omar was unhappy; though not with corporate politics and expectations, as often assumed. "I was bored with the music we were playing," he recalls. "We were just going to keep making the same records. It was nice to finally get the attention with At The Drive-In after six years, but it left us musically bankrupt, spiritually bankrupt."

Omar believes that "It’s always important to throw a monkeywrench in your own system, start from scratch and not be afraid to expose yourself." To that end, he told Cedric, his foil since childhood in bands like experimental dub unit De Facto as well as ATDI, his new plan. "The idea was to have a band that was free of boxes, free of conceptual limitations. We both knew that would mean a lot of sacrifice, a lot of broken hearts and a lot of change in our life. But we were both willing to accept that so that the music would not suffer."

They took the other members of ATDI to the park where they had begun, and formally split up the band. Omar then began recruiting the dextrous, expansive musicians they’d need for The Mars Volta:
    keyboardist Ikey, Owens from The Long Beach Dub All-Stars, and Jon Theodore, a drummer who’d played with Golden, as well as Jeremy Ward, their friend from De Facto, who would become the band’s secret member, triggering samples and effects from offstage. "It was great to play with people who understood the vision," he continues, "though these influences have always been there with ATDI."

An EP Tremulant, on their own Gold Standard Laboratories label, and a series of extraordinary shows brought more allies: Rick Rubin signed on as producer; Flea helped out on bass; old friend John Frusciante, another of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, added guitar to the outstanding ‘Cicatriz’;. And at the end of last year, The Mars Volta decamped to Rubin’s place in Laurel Canyon, a haunted house with a "strong presence", according to Omar, and began to record De-Loused In The Comatorium. The result is this passionate, elaborate, relentlessly inventive and utterly rewarding album, one of those rare records where musical innovation is matched, move for move, by a profound emotional pull. "I think it’ll take a couple of spins," admits Cedric, "but all my favorite records are like that."

The Mars Volta, it seems, demand more from music, and not unreasonably suspect they aren’t alone. "Our music is completely selfish, but we’re not above-average human beings," reckons Omar, modestly. "So if we’re getting it, there’s got to be other people who will too."

7. goldmund

goldmund Member

thanks for the correction. was a little drunk last night :) and had trouble recalling some key information. I've downloaded some of there stuff, not my particular style, but still really good.

8. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

9. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

10. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Check out this band called Athlete. They're brilliant. :)

11. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

chameleons / ocean colour scene / iconoclast / dodgy / world party /

12. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

your funny , these bands are either defunct or years old ?.

I would go with Kasabian

13. CTB

CTB Member

some great up and coming british bands i know about are:
    termites (psychedelic death pop)
    big joan (angular post-punk noise rock)
    teambrick (one man noise army)
    gonga (groove metal)

14. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

i was just pointing these bands out to our brothers and sisters across the water man(they might have not heard the groups sounds) .........also iconoclast are a fairly new young group "who are touring uk " at the present. believe me .as my ex"s son is the lead guitarist.

15. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

fair enough..

http://www.iconoclast.ca/mainpage.html

Thanks *oops*

http://www.iconoclast-web.co.uk/news.html

Thanks.