BIG SUR jack kerouac

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by moonbeam, Aug 28, 2004.

1. moonbeam

moonbeam Member

Has anyone read this one? I just finished it.........it was SO good! I loved it, i think it is definitely in my top THREE. VERY GOOD> i recommend it, even before on the road. yeah....

hey and then i realised that even though it was from the library , it was a first printing.............cool. i think i'll pay them the five dollars they want and keep it. yeah.

2. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

THat was an awesome book. Not my favorite kerouac book but tatally in the top 5.

3. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

wow, yeah... and Pic is also great... (such a simple lucky story..) :)

4. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

I think Dahrma Bums is my favorite kerouac book right now. Although I haven't read one I haven't liked.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I just finished it. By far the best, most psychological, and most creative Kerouac book I have ever read (I've read around 7 of his works).

Amazing book.

6. The Acid Queen

The Acid Queen Member

I've read On the Road and Dharma Bums, and I've always wanted to read Big Sur. I'm glad people like it, now I'm not too tentative about acquiring it.

7. gurney

gurney Member

thats my favorite to gary snyder is a very cool dude

8. matty mcfatty

matty mcfatty "freakin' awesome"

he's fuckin beautiful.

9. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Why on earth was the Dharma Bums thread locked? I just wanted to say that I loved that JK book best I think because I'm a Religion major... I wrote a paper on it for my Intro to Religions of the Eastern World class, analyzing the very American understanding and shaping of Zen and it's beginnings in American pop culture...

I own Big Sur, but I can't get into it when I try reading it... The vibe is so different from OTR and DB, or at least the first couple of chapters are...

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

It was locked because a thread about the book already exists. Search before posting.

11. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

Ohhhhh, that's what "Search before posting" means... :& didn't realize that it meant search for the other thread about this subject... thanks

12. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

Dharma Bums is my fave of his by a mile, absolutely loved it. But have bought Lonesome Traveller of his and found it very tough going, anyone else think this?

Havnt read Big Sur yet.

13. child

child Member

lonesome traveler i think is my favorit but the first chapter is a little tough at first but is very beautifull and easer later. personally i found dharma bums to be good in places but i just felt he seemed sort of arragant, i didnt like the way he kept praising the other main character (cant remember his name colledge student?).