Big changes planned for Amsterdam's Red Light District

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by George47, Jun 7, 2012.

1. George47

George47 Member

Amsterdam's famous red light district is changing.
    In an attempt to clean up and reduce it's size, many red light windows are scheduled to close in the coming months. The aim is to only allow them on the Oudezijds Achterburgwal canal and neighbouring streets. Windows around the OudeKerk and to the South, known as the Sexy Land area are all due to close for good. Sexy Land (a sex shop) itself closed in late 2011.
    May 24th 2012 marked the start of the window closures and first to go were those on a building on the corner of Trompettersteeg and Sint Annendwarsstraat. The actual window numbers are Sint Annendwarsstraat 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, Trompettersteeg 3-4, 3-5. See below. Click for larger photo.
    [​IMG]

Luckily these windows have been replaced by six in Stoofsteeg. Two are in Stoofsteeg 1 and another four in Stoofsteeg 6. Ironically these two buildings were red light windows prior to 2007/8. Having spent nearly four years as some kind of fashion / art display they are now returning to what they should be. The owner of the closed windows agreed to swap with the new ones in Stoofsteeg. He has also agreed to swap another ten. The other Sexy Land windows however belong to other owners who claim they will not go so easily. It remains to seen if they will be forced to close.

Stoofsteeg 1 .............................................................Stoofsteeg 6
    [​IMG]........[​IMG]
    Both windows re-opened on 24th May though my photos show them a few weeks earlier while they were still being refurbished.

2. What's up with Amsterdam

What's up with Amsterdam Guest

Closures started way back in 2007. In total about a 100 windows, mostly in 2007 and 2008 have been closed. So the red light district has already changed a lot, but it happened already some time ago!

This spring it will continue. But I don't think any tourists will notice the changes.

Why do they close the windows and change the red light district in Amsterdam?

Read my story: http://www.whatsupwithamsterdam.com/2011/03/07/red-light-district/

Thanks and if you go, enjoy the city!

3. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

very interesting-and true. I'm just back from Amsterdam cant say I'm a tourist- just love the coffee shops..havent seen any big changes with them. although A'dam is changing allot..

4. George47

George47 Member

They want to change the look of central Amsterdam. They feel there are too many tacky sex and souvenir shops. They believe Amsterdam's association with sex and drugs is too great and they are fed up with the nuisance that stag parities and drunks create. Project 1012 is an ambitious and long term attempt to clean up the area and make it more upmarket. They want to keep the red light district but in a smaller more confined area.

5. George47

George47 Member

Here are the new windows after renovation and ready for action.

............... Stoofsteeg 1 (first on left ) .............. ....................................Stoofsteeg 6
    [​IMG]........[​IMG]

Another new window opened at Oudezijds Achterburgwal 13 on 21st June. This was also one that closed in 2007/8 but has re-opened as part of the recent swap with ones in the Sexy Land area. No.13 is the three windows in the middle. OZA 40 is also due to re-open soon.
    [​IMG]

6. George47

George47 Member

7. biohazard5500

biohazard5500 Member

hmm interesting.

8. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

very interesting:2thumbsup:

9. happypills

happypills Member

Thanks for the thread. I've been to Amsterdam but it was way back in the 1900's. I see that much has changed thanks to your thread. I read the links and it's all very eye opening! I hope to someday return, it's a fun place to visit.