bicycle power

Discussion in 'Alternative Technologies' started by Boogabaah, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i have been wanting to build a bicycle powered generator for some time now.

has anyone done this? i'd just like to see or read others ideas.

once i get this going i'll take pics and add them here.

2. Sethvir

Sethvir Member

You're not going to be able to power very much with a bike.

This programme is worth watching (if nothing else due to the amusing aspects), if you can find a copy of the whole thing...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8392451.stm

3. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

4. broony

broony Banned

Awesome link Tom, you wouldn't happen to have others would you..?

5. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Actually, this was the one I was looking for at first;

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

He goes into detail about what is possible using peddle power.

Keep in mind I would never order any of these plans... the info you need is all available online.

The problem is that unless you use almost no electricity, or have nothing else to do, it is really inefficient to use your time like this.

lol

or here;

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=396224&f=613

As I keep saying, I forget more of this shit then most people ever learn... lol

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Maybe they're onto something, but I personally thing:

Those are ugly as FUCK, bulky and silly looking as FUCK, look heavy as FUCK, and have silly wannabe batmobile designs that you can tell with one look seriously compromises frame strength.

The bike was perfected 100 years ago. The bike was properly standardized between 60 and 30 years ago. That 30 year range 30 years ago was full of wonderful works of functional affordable art, and they're still the best bikes. Now it's all overpriced shit designed to make you buy specialty parts when you really just need a 1975 road bike with it's nicely thought out, happy middle ground, stock configuration.

7. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

my friend is a chef in edmonton, and they did a bicycle powered charity lunch!

all of their cookers an fridges were bike powered! they had like 20 regular bikes put on this thing that lifted up the back wheel a little bit, like one of those "exercise at home with your own bike" sort of do-hickeys :)

they fed a lot of people! I think it was 300!!!
    I am always so shocked that in edmonton in the central of the evil provence (alberta) has so much activism!

deffinately listen to ROO!!! he knows his bikes!

new bikes=crap! I got a 200$ bike new..its garbage I gave it to my brother....

I bought a 10$ bike at a garage sale its from the 80's...its wonderful! and sooo fast! I can ride all day without feeling like its gonna come apart! the 200$ bike made so many rickety sounds:(

8. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

google it, you'll see some pedal power products you can buy, they will give you lots of hints!