Bicycle Appreciation Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by Cosmic Elf, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Cosmic Elf

Cosmic Elf Member

Spring is in the air (where I live, anyway), and that means it's bike season!! I truly have only good things to say about 'em! They're cheap to buy and cheap to fix, low maitenance, FUN, efficient, great exercise, and can go a lot more places than cars!!!

HOORAY FOR BICYCLES!

2. Ahmad Rashad

Ahmad Rashad Senór Member

Fuck yea!

I drove to work today and saw loooaads of people riding bikes. Seems like people in our city finally realized that you don't have to constantly fill your bike up with gas.

As long as weather is stayin in the 50's I plan on riding my bike to work erday.

3. Richardevans

Richardevans Member

You get exercise, the (almost) fresh air on your face, and the thrill of the ride all in one metallic contraption known as the bicycle. I also like it better when it has that nice bell on it.

http://blog.babyganics.com/

4. greenryder

greenryder Member

I hear the term "bike season" far too often. I live in Ontario, Canada and bike year round. Neither cold nor snow will stop me from riding. Actually, I'll take snow over rain most of the time.

If you look at the great bicycle cities in Europe, nearly everyone is in Northern Europe where winters are pretty poor. (ie. Copenhagen, Stockholm, Malmo, Groningen, Bremen).
    Actually, I've always been amazed at how warmer European climates usually have more cars and poorer biking conditions.
    Same thing applies to North America. Nearly all the better bicycle cities are in the north or have poor climates. (ie. Montréal, Vancouver, Minneapolis, Madison, Chicago, Portland)

5. The Earth

The Earth Om Tare Tutare Ture Svaha

6. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

greenryder you're my hero!

i also ride by bike year around. i always feel like a badass when i see an SUV with one person in it. :D

i live about 20 miles from the bicycle capital of the USA.. davis california. it's amazing going there. bikes EVERYWHERE! i'd move there if there was a bike path between here and there.

7. ItsAndrewBet

ItsAndrewBet Member

Every season is bike/long boarding season for me! I have boycotted driving, so when ever I need to go places I whip one of them bad boys out and just ride =)

8. greenryder

greenryder Member

9. Cosmic Elf

Cosmic Elf Member

I'd love to bike year-round, but I live in a small town in eastern BC, and we get TONS of snow in the winter. I'll bust out my bike on occasion if the roads are clear enough, but otherwise I just walk cuz it's faster than slipping around in 3 feet of snow!

my favorite trails have been dry enough for use for a few weeks now, I've been rockin it hard on my wheels <3 <3

10. sidneyisinlove

sidneyisinlove Member

weather permitting i ride my bike a lot, i have baskets on both sides so i can ride it to the store too..

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I just bought a nice commuter's pannier, so I can stop using a backpack. Nice to have the breeze on my back.

12. greenryder

greenryder Member

I use to always use a backpack. Became a 'pain' quite litterley, also some stores started a policy where you were no longer allowed to bring in your backpack in or you'd have to leave it at the front counter (though I just completely stopped shopping at those stores)

Now I have two rear folding pannier baskets and a front basket.
    [​IMG]

13. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Biking around is fun....Mountain biking is thrilling tho....;-)

14. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I used to live in a small town and didn't even own a car. Everything was so close I just biked everywhere. I loved the simplicity of not having to go to gas stations, paying insurance, or worrying about the car getting damaged or breaking down.

15. greenryder

greenryder Member

16. Huyhak

Huyhak Member

Biking is the way to go. I'd like to see more 'yellow bike' programs in urban areas. The concept is awesome.

17. Lucywu2012

Lucywu2012 Member

I like riding the bike,too. It's good for our health and the enviroment!

18. Rugor

Rugor Senior Member

I do not drive so I bike everywhere. the only annoying thing is a lot of drivers are extremely rude even when the crosswalk thing shows the symbol for me to cross they are always turning into the crosswalk. luckily I have a good eye and good breaks and I have not been hit by a car. I also hate when stupid immature kids like to yell really loud at bikers.

19. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

people in my town have all been getting those silly e-bkes! they are a good idea, if you are replacing a car, but a bad replacement for a good old fashioned bike!

and yup...year round here too! winter isn't THAT bad, just dress for it and smile!

20. Skooky

Skooky Member

I'm an old born again bicycler. I finally found one I could afford last week at a garage sale for $10. For the last couple of years I have pretty much walked everywhere and the occasional ride along to somewhere. So far, it's been a blast.

peace