Bhutan (is it the model country?)

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Spacer, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

It tries to keep itself from going down the western path, they charge tourist a $200 a day fee just to be in the country to keep numbers down and not spoil their country like Nepal has been a bit by tourist numbers. They have a great conservation scheme for national parks and all animals. Also the aim to to take care of Gross National Happiness before Gross National Product. I only knew a bit about Bhutan until I saw an episode of Michael Palins himalayan adventure last night, it does seems like the model country.

http://www.kingdomofbhutan.com/kingdom.html

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I know someone from there. He's homeless :D

3. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

If the rest of the world were to do that, well you can just kiss this planet goodbye then... :p :(

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

It sounds like they're just hella overcharging to see sacred Buddhist shrines.

A country run like a nightclub... sounds kinda crappy to me.

5. Ash_Freakstreet

Ash_Freakstreet Hmm.... GROOVY!

It will sound really accurate if you replace the word "tourist" with "communist"

...or "royalist" for that matter

6. Spacer

The over chargin is not to rip people off but to keep tourist numbers down so as to preserve their country and not have it overrun with littering tourists. Tourism does bring in valuable revenue but look at the state of some countries for over-developing the tourist trade. The Costa Del Sol in spain being a prime example.

7. Spacer

Yes the Maoist rebels haven't helped but neither has a massive influx of tourists.