Beyond Earth's Solar System

Discussion in 'The Future' started by themnax, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Haha yeah, it is so much more likely that if more intelligent life came to be in our universe it is either long gone or it will emerge after us. It is likely there is more life in the universe than just on earth, but it is even more likely we will never ever met or even take notice from eachother.

Unfortunately I think it is wise to keep the possibility in mind that we will never have the ability to colonize other planets as they are so terribly far away. That being said, I encourage the investments in space exploration, if only for the purpose of asteroid mining.

2. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

asmo, i think that is a short-sighted argument. think about how far transportation in general has come in the last 200 years. we went from the horse and buggy to cars, planes and insanely fast trains....as well as spaceships, the international space station, the voyager probe etc. our technological advancements could lead to something that allows us to travel near light speed, or something to even bend space time and move effectively faster than light.

someday in hundreds or thousands of years we could figure out teleportation, or we could be uploaded into virtual realities (in 100 years or less) that could eventually be sent to other solar systems so that our consciousness can travel to and colonize other planets, without our meat-bodies having to travel that far.

1 person likes this.
  3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't know the name of it but I'm pretty certain there is a paradox regarding teleportation as well, that basically made it sound like we couldn't teleport a classical object like ourselves. Something to do with needing the environments to have precise conditions for teleportation to take place but the act of teleporting inherently changes the conditions.

What does our consciousness being uploaded into virtual realities sent out to solar systems mean? Is that like not meant to be taken literally and having a "hive mind" based algorithmic satellite surveying space? or are you talking about a directly connected cerebral nano-technology that governs some sort of machine craft or something?

4. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

I believe that humanity will develop ai and that may be an alternative to us ourselves exploring. Because the likelihood of us developing faster than light travel, is very bleak. And even if we do the closest system is 4 light years away. Thats still four years of travel in space, which would be tough on our bodies. The closest life supporting planet that we know of is 16 light years away, it just seems nearly impossible for humans to travel in space and explore space the way some of us dream. Anyway, if we were to face extinction, then we could possibly send either embryos or dna to planets to colonize them for the sake of humanity surviving and to continue exploring, but we would NEED an ai to overwatch us and teach us the ways of the world while those humans were young. But imo, we aren't leaving this planet anytime soon, so either start fixing shit or go extinct.

^I also think this is possible, but we would first have to figure out what consciousness is, which we are far from doing. But who knows what the next 100 years has in store

Also, I feel like any species must be under tremendous stress for evolution to start really being noticed. And humans have thrived to the point were we don't need to evolve, but now we are really starting to see some stress on our survival as a species. Also maybe the fate of every species on earth if humanity keep it up.

And from the way I see it, know how things are going to work out for us in our lifetimes, just remeber that your actions and intentions directly affect our struggle to survive. As far as we know, we are the first species to make it this far in development, lets not let this go to waste....

5. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

4 years of travel in space....in a few hundred years will be nothing. we already have people staying on the space station for a year at a time. which is harsh, but is do-able.

i don't know the paradox either, but i think it would involve dismantling our bodies down to individual atoms - which would be quite lethal...and the re-constructing the original conformation on the other side. in exactly the same way. subtle differences would be interesting to think about.

about the 2nd part...i was just using my imagination (more like discussing other peoples' ideas) about different ways we could "go" to other stars, or colonize other planets. some people think that the Singularity is only ~30 years away...when computers will become more intelligent than humans. some people think that when that happens, a lot of people will live their lives in complex virtual realities, and/or people may upload their memories onto the "net" and live forever that way. so let's suppose something like that is commonplace. ....now we send probes and spaceships to the planets of other stars and they contain the necessary hardware to power our virtual realities by harnessing the power of the local star. now humans would be "living" around a different star.

the "goldilocks zone" for massive, planet sized computers is different than that for animal life. so these things could be built in different places, probably a lot closer than earth-like planets.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep, to teleport you need to destroy the original ones self. Question is are you the same on the other side? And would you have memory of your previous surroundings? Let's say you teleport from California to England, and you step out of your telephone booth, are you "hell yes I'm in England!" Or are you "shhhiiiiat nigga, fuck just happened?" Or... Do you even know or remember how to speak language??? And!!!! Do you remember how to use your limbs and legs or does someone else open the booth doors and there you are rolling on the floor like a baby?????

It's almost like. 3D printer, isn't it? But how do the atoms know how to replicate your conscious?

7. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Perhaps the Earth is flat. The curvature we see is just a part of a greater Holographic illusion. Kind of like those skits where the background moves but the commentators stay put.

In space we only see on side at a time as with the moon. How are we to know if the Hubble pictures we 'see' are in fact real.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah but ppl went into the space and walked on the moon and they took photographs and you just know it's true, right?

9. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

^^ oh yeah that was perfectly 'real'.

Google earth the Moon and try and find some left over vehicles and a flag.

We spend too much time gazing into the Heavens; perhaps it is time to delve a little deeper in our Oceans (5% explored), 10% under Ice and maybe 30% land explored; that is not to mention our own selves. Honestly what intrigues me is what is under the mountains of Ice in Antarctica and the Artic.

At one point in History the Poles were not covered in Ice and also given the fact that when the Ice Age ended all that water filled the oceans, so what is under the surface of the continues waves that was once land?

The way we are going, we will run out of O2 before we literally destroy ourselves. So we might as well seriously explore what the Earth has left to show us.

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey no sweat, a little astral projection to check out the planets and I’ll be right back

10 minutes later: my observations are as follows:

Planet Wing Four has an atmosphere similar to Earth with a slightly lower oxygen content; Type I civilization on the Kardashian Scale; An excess of white women with big butts who fall for black men. Friendly peaceful people on the verge of advancing to a Type II civilization.

Planet Pathos II is a water world. 90% of the world is covered in ocean. Dolphin-like creatures rule and dominate the seas. The Underwater Capital City Urquhart has a Population of 4 million.

Planet Demarest Prime: Uninhabitable but is currently being Terraformed

Hotwater

2 people like this.
  12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I would like to know how oxygen would/could be available if, for example, people were sent to colonize Mars on a long term basis.

The idea that AI would do our traveling/exploring seems more reasonable than sending biologicals with needs such as food, the disposal of waste,oxygen,etc.

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And water. (edit does not work for me)

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

By who?

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So can you see the flag on google moon?

16. hotwater

[​IMG]

Hotwater

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So skinny them aliens look. So No attractive. I hope them female aliens have a bit more meat on their.. exoskeletons.

18. hotwater

Oh, I think you could say that..............................[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Natasha Henstridge

Hotwater

19. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Tons of Oxygen already on Mars in the form of Iron Oxide, just add heat.
    Waste? Oh you mean Biogas to run fuel cells. :D

As far as AI goes, I've been starting to think that perhaps they've been around longer than "those who know" will admit and we're already IN the "People Zoo"

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/09/02/ai-robot-learns-words-in-real-time-tells-human-creators-it-will-keep-them-in-a-people-zoo/

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No ones paying money to watch lay around and scratch myself. =[