Best Star Trek series

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by fraggle_rock, Dec 21, 2013.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

To be honest I was probably a bit biased towards him before watching star trek because I didn’t like his character in Taps, RoboCop, or Total Recall [​IMG]

Hotwater

2. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

What bothered me about that one was that the torture scene was direct ripoff of 1984. I didn't hate it but I definitely didn't think it deserved the acclaim it seems to get.

The best Trek episode of all time is DS9's 'The Visitor'... it's a brilliant concept and it was executed perfectly.

3. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I like them all for different reasons. TOS is the OG Star Trek and Captain Kirk was the ultimate intergalactic pimp. But the stories can be kinda cheesy compared to later series.

TNG dealt with more complex topics and delved deeper into the characters and their personalities. I think Captain Picard is on the best leaders I've seen in any series, sci-fi or not.

DS9 was amazing and focused even more on the interaction between characters but some episodes can get kina boring

Voyager was meh, they seem to get invaded and the ship taken over every episode.

Enterprise - As far as I'm concerned this series does not need to exist.

4. hotwater

My favorite episode of Star trek DS9 was “To the Death”

When a renegade group of Jem'Hadar plunders Deep Space Nine for equipment to complete a planetary gateway, Sisko agrees to team up with loyal Jem'Hadar soldiers to stop them.

The Jem’Hadar 1st (Omet'iklan) is played by Clarence Williams III :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

5. odonII

odonII O

They are not good people. True. But that's good acting for you.

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Why DS9 as the best?

7. hotwater

Unlike Star Trek TNG where everything is sanitized and everyone is perfect ; it's not the same with DS9 and there are stories within stories :2thumbsup:

Captain Sisko and the relationship with his son Jake
    Quark and his band of Ferengi’s
    The shape shifter Odo and his relationship with the founders
    Dr Bashir and his genetic manipulation
    Jadzia Dax and her many former hosts
    Major Kira Nerys and her former ties with the Bajoran resistance

Hotwater

8. odonII

odonII O

Sisko?:afro:

9. odonII

odonII O

< *cough*

10. hotwater

As I was saying…..clears throat……Elim Garak, a Cardassian and former intelligence operative for the Obsidian Order

Hotwater

11. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I love Voyager! The episode where they finally make contact with Earth and Paris's father finally says he is proud of his son... :bigcry: every time!

12. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

For me-
    1. Star Trek Voyager
    I love the idea of a Trek through adversity, against many odds to traverse though dangerous terrain/space to ensure the safe return of a 'family' crew back to 'home' - along with the sub-plot of 7 of 9 / Borg conflict
    2. The Original Star Trek
    Without which, none would have boldly gone! - The combination of original 7 (Cocky/Cavalier Captain, (Half) Alien Smart(ass ;)) steadfast right hand man, Grumpy old Doctor, Black/Woman Bridge officer, Young Russian, Asian Pilot of the airways and Scottish (miracle worker) Engineer = quite cosmopolitan, working together for the common cause of the many .. or in some cases - the one = a real attribute to aspire to
    3. Star Trek Enterprise
    The prequel with Archer (I feel well played (down) by Bakula) was a good insight into pre semi-luxury of latter episodes (and having Tony from Desmond's (English TV sitcom reference) on board made sure the haircuts were well maintained) ;)-
    4. Star Trek DSN
    Having an outpost on the edge, may not have been the final frontier, but a frontier from which other/further adventures could have been experienced. I found a bit hit/miss episodes with the most interesting ones being the Dominion, Cardasian, Klingon conflicts
    5. Star Trek TNG
    Probably my least favourite I think because (i) it replaced Kirk and Co, (ii) Had a bit more comfortablity about it. I liked Picard a Mr strait laced, Worf as an angry (yet controlled) Klingon (with an edge) Data was 'a bit interesting' and Barclay to see better storylines- although the rest of the was cast I felt were characters seemed to like themselves a bit too much
    - Though in the end, the Trek is always different for each and all of us

= "Course Captain?"-"2nd star to the right, and straight ahead until morning" :)

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

One thing is TNG, DS9 and Voyager all took place more or less concurrently, so it did help to "flesh out" the entire Star Trek universe Roddenberry created, while the other series helped lend history and back story to it.

So even though I do have my favorites, it is cool that he had created a big and rich universe, always a big plus in any type of fantasy/scifi genre, IMHO.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

My favourite Voyager ep is the one with the planet where time runs super fast, the guy from Hawaii 50 is in that.

My favourite Tng ones are all the data ones

I remember being freaked out as a kid at the original series episode with the flying jellyfish long before i got into sci fi, but as I said before, cant see what the deal is with original series, is shit

Since we are talking about other series as well, special mention to the BBC series The Tripods, i was fanatic about that around 12 yrs old, that was a pretty good show