Best place for sixties person to live in WA and still work?

Discussion in 'Washington (State)' started by riversong, Jun 23, 2013.

1. riversong

riversong Member

Does anyone know where a good place to land in WA might be for someone in their sixties (from the 60's) - someone who still needs to hold down a job? I returned to Seattle after living in New Mexico for 11 years and find it sadly changed - way too expensive for me now and not necessarily hippie-friendly. Maybe it is but I'm not sure I can afford to stay here long enough to find out. Would Bellingham be a good alternative? Port Townsend area? I keep reading mixed reports on Oly. I'd like to stay in WA to be near son and sister so I'm looking for WA possibilities, please. Thanks for any advice and suggestions! Lovin' y'all

2. Tumbleweed22

Tumbleweed22 Guest

I'm curious why you left New Mexico. I'm 62 and after caring for my mom for 3 years, I'm ready to start again too and also have to work. Thinking of New Mexico or Washington. The Port Townsend area looks cool. I think when you don't have tons of money, creative thinking is necessary. I am wondering if there are any sustainable communities in either of those areas.

3. riversong

riversong Member

I left my job and figured it was a good time to be near family in WA. Also, I was getting homesick and beginning to miss water terribly! Port Townsend is a very nice place - a community and some really good folks. Work which can support you is not so easy to find there. It's pretty small. As well, NM just never really really felt like home. Summers are so hot! But I admit, I'm missing it (and folks) more than I thought I would! Do you know where you would go in NM?