best books about hippy 60's etc

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by UnspokenThings, Aug 10, 2004.

1. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

what are peoples favourite books about hippies and the era and why?

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Drop city
    By default more than anything, I haven't found any others.

Bright Angel Time
    Not hippy per say, but in that spirit. It's just beautifully written.

Steal this book
    A classic of sorts, has a lot of wisdom and infectious enthusiasm.

AgingNYChippie likes this.
  3. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

It's not a famous book, but I read a book called "Memoirs of an Ex-Hippie" by Robert Roskind, and it's a first-hand look of the counterculture. Fascinating book :)

4. hawkmoon

hawkmoon Member

I just finished The Season of the Witch by Joe Leo Herlihy--fantastic, but out of print :( You could probably found a copy at the library (that's where I found it) or used book stores, though.

And being a Grace Slick fan, I have to reccommend her autobiography :)

I've heard good things about Drop City...

5. dara325

dara325 Member

The Portable Sixties Reader-Ann Charters, it contains great works from Martin Luther King, Abbie Hoffman, Tim Leary, ext. The book is seperated by section starting with the civil rights movement, and ending with i believe the age of aquarius. It is a great read for all who really are interested in 60s lit. And it give you previews of other books so that when you finish you can go out and buy that authors complete work.

6. mkc414

mkc414 Member

I havent read a lot of the books mentioned above, but I did enjoy "The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe.

7. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

I have read, "1968: Year in America" and the book, "The 60's" ..both very informative about everything that occur.. its rather interesting..

8. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

"Got A Revolution" it's about Jefferson Airplane.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Member

I just finished reading Another Roadside Attraction by Tom robbins. It's not one of the more popular books from that era, but it was enjoyable enough for me. HE was the author of Still life With Woodpecker which I haven't read yet either but will be when I have the time.

10. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

my fav book of all time
    i have used many of the things mentioned in the book

11. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

i just got back from barnes and nobles, there was a 'remembering the 60s table' (with an awesome hippie craft book that i really want... and some cool books) and a book called "hippie..." that looked like a pretty cool overview of the decade, from what i could tell. i just flipped through quickily in passing, didnt really sit down and look at it

12. rainbowkid

rainbowkid Member

One good book - it isn't my favourite - but its rather large, its just called Hippie and its written by a guy called Miles. Its quite good because it goes through the years from the days of Timothy Leary and the Merry Pranksters to the days of the early seventies, and it does feature a bit on recent Woodstock venues like Woodstock 1994 & 1999.

"When the rich wage war,
    It's the poor who die."

- Jean - Paul sartre.

13. peacefulwind14

peacefulwind14 Member

Im reading "Hippie" right now and it is an awesome book.

Also "Acid Dreams" is a great book. It's more the history of LSD but it has a lot of information about the sixities.

14. wswalcott

wswalcott Member

Hippie by Barry Miles... It is a great coffee table book that covers 1965-1971 and all the people and events that madde history. Amazing pictures and great writing. This is a great book if you are interested in the '60's at all.

15. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

Do It! by Jerry Rubin. It's about the hippie movement towards freedom from government.

16. WarKrisMagic

WarKrisMagic Member

The Hippie Crafts book (that bohemian_child refered too[I still don't know how to quote]) is awesome if its the same one I recently got for my...umm...semi-ex-girlfriend's birthday. It has a bunch of different sections of different crafts and in between the sections is info about the 60's. It's pretty sweet. Mostly stuff for girls though, there was only one thing in there I wanted for myself, and that was just a belt...but hey if you're a girl you'll love it.