Berceuse, by Chopin, by Liszt

Discussion in 'Classical' started by Mr.Writer, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

I present, Berceuse by Chopin, and his friend Liszt's reply, Berceuse by Liszt.

a berceuse is a lullaby, so if your attention wanes and waxes and you find yourself day dreaming and forgetting about this playing, that means it is a fantastic work ;).

they are both magic.

i dare not choose a favorite, though i lean towards liszt secretely, not attributing greater virtue to his piano, never, merely being myself personally attuned to the tapestry he weaves in the epic octaves of stringed sighs.

what are your thoughts on these minutes of melting?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f4a9bb3ddd5015ca7f7ec40ada4772a656f88969d2dafd085621d66e282a0ee8

2. rambleON

rambleON Coup

that Chopin piece is pretty dreamy indeed.

3. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

4. IpsissimusFaustus

IpsissimusFaustus Member

I prefer the Chopin because I love his dreamy, eternally melancholic atmospheres. Liszt's later piousness kind of turns me off, but his music speaks for itself. Totentanz remains one of Romanticism's highest peaks.

5. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

my personal favorite

Cavalleria Rusticana Intermezzo by Mascagni

6. knottygrl

knottygrl Member

Franz Liszt was amazing! Totally underrated. He was the "rockstar" of his time for sure. I enjoy "grey clouds" it's dark, and poetic. Liszt was lyrical in his work, can't get enough of his stuff!

7. herne

herne Member

I think a lot of people like both Chopin and Liszt, but they might be underrated compared to Mozart/Beethoven/Bach/Brahms/Tchaikovsky.

Chopin is one of my most favourite composers and I like his one more, but also like the one by Liszt.