Bees

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by silverhippy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

Damn I got stung twice while I was cutting the damn grass, don't cat's kill and eat bees ????? :mad:

Peace

2. yellowcab

yellowcab Fresh baked

Dogs do, not sure about cats but I would imagine they would.

3. Nightwish666

Nightwish666 Member

yup my doggy king allways chases them...i worry about him. i think its a miricale he hasnt been stung yet...:)

4. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Didn't we have a Praise the Bee thread once? Beeeeeeeee

5. silverhippy

Praise the Bee ??? These were those big fat yellow and black ones.... I may need therapy...

Peace

6. ice-nine

ice-nine Member

Those are the best ones! As they are bumble bees and help to make delicious honey. They are also going extinct in places, from what I understand due to mobile phone usage. The radio signals screw up their sense of direction and the poor bumbly bees can't get themselves back to their hive. :(

However, I find it odd that you got stung by them, as I thought they were also the type that if they sting, they die. So they usually don't sting humans. *shrugs*

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Bee's are 100% not the problem, wasps are.

Bees attack for a reason, wasps are just nasty little bastards who find sting innocent bystanders a bit of a Roman holiday :p

wilsjane and WritersPanic like this.
  8. silverhippy

No your thinking of the smaller brown ones..

Peace

9. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Bumble bees only sting if they feel threatened. I've had them buzzing around me, and even in my face up close. Maybe because of my smell, or the color of my shirt, i don't know.

But i stand still and they always go away. And they can sting more than once and not die, btw. And they don't swarm either.

10. lithium

lithium frogboy

In the BEANfield?

11. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

12. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

In the BEANfield!?

13. Nightwish666

Nightwish666 Member

some bumble bee lost its way into my house yesterday...awwww
    i dunno how such a little insect can make so much noise...havent they got a silent mode? :D

14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

15. I had an interesting encounter with a bee today. So I had to travel back in time to avoid duplicating a thread, and ended up here.

So, I had the window cracked about 3 inches open while I work and toke. I had headphones on, jamming to Flo-Rida, when I heard this buzz behind me. When I lifted the headphones off it was obvious I had an insect in the room. But I didn't know what for a few minutes.

Then it popped up again, a Bumblebee (the kind that bore holes in wood). So I opened the window wide and raised the shade so it could see the great outdoors. Then I used a pillow to wave air at it to guide it toward the window. It didn't seem to care for this.

So it started to go wide, causing me to change hands with the pillow, a square throw type for a sofa. The bee stopped in front of it like I had used "The Force" on it. The damnedest thing I have ever seen. So I pushed toward it and the bee backed away, toward the window.

I finally got it to go out and it flew away easily. Then I turned the pillow over and realized the odd art deco flower pattern on the obverse side had totally freaked this bee out!

16. Varmint

Varmint Member

THAT is hilarious! It reminded me of an incident years ago when I was working outside with a bright dandelion-colored shirt on. I happened to look down at my shirt and it was covered with ladybugs. Not a few, mind you, but every quarter of an inch had one on it. It was one of the freakiest things I'd ever seen.

Glad you got rid of your bumblebee.

17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am fairly certain that the OP was confusing bees with wasps.
    I have kept hives in the past and we now lave a lavender bush outside the front door that can have about 100 bees on it in the summer. We also have bumble bees living in the eves of our roof. Despite all this, I have managed more than 70 years without getting a single sting.

18. Yea, In figured as much, or they were yellow jacket hornets. I can't recall the last time I had a sting, it's been decades. But 3 years ago I tripped on a sidewalk because I was keeping my eye on an underground hive. I cracked 2 ribs by the way I fell and couldn't laugh or sneeze without pain for weeks.

wilsjane likes this.
  19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I think that the only time that bees will sting is if you panic and start swatting them, or if they get trapped after crawling inside your clothing.
    Did you see my post (a few weeks ago) about the day that our daughter had to deal with the panic when a virgin queen hatched and bees swarmed in central London.?