Been down so Long

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Merry Prankster612, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Merry Prankster612

Merry Prankster612 Member

What do people think about Farina's Been down so long it looks like up to me?

2. RoxStar

RoxStar Member

A little off topic response here but nevertheless it's very cool. I love Jim Morrison's interpretation of it as well, it is BY FAR one of my favorite Doors songs. (off the L.A. Woman album for anyone who doesn't know).

Long live the Doors
    RIP JM

-ROX

3. hannahannahannah

hannahannahannah What's a Palindrome?

Lords, I read that when I was 17 I think. I loved it, but being as now I'm 54, I don't remember one piece or passage of it. Sorry.

4. cannabis=freedom

cannabis=freedom Member

I read it when I was 17 also, which was last year.

I think it's one of the more overlooked books ever written, with a complex anti-hero we're unsure how to react to and a fascinatingly oblique style that combines a kind of tantalizing minimalism with some startling description.

I'll always remember Gnossos having problems paying for his food or whatever in silver dollars, and yelling at the woman "I am KING FUCKING MONTEZUMA and I'll sacrifice your heart!" or something along those lines. The cat really had no restraint.

I won't go into detail on the ending, as I'm sure many here will want to read it, but it was incredible because you get no real sense of what happens at all, just a few obscure words that could mean dozens of things.