Beck

Discussion in 'Music' started by Muzz, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Muzz

Muzz Member

I had a couple of his songs on my computer that I never listened to until recently, and they're pretty cool so far. Can anyone recommend any good songs/albums by him worth getting?

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

midnite vultures.....

i like all of his albums....but this is one of the best.....

3. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I love his album "One Foot in the Grave"

4. 7leafclover

7leafclover Member

I really like "Odelay" Good stuff.

5. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

midnight vultures is fab!

6. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Beck's singles didn't really make a great impression on me. But a few months ago a friend gave me "Mellow Gold", "Midnight Vultures", "Odelay" and "Mutations", and to me now he's certainly an album artist. The singles sound so differant to the bulk of his material.

I think that's why I like "Mutations" the most. It's like a Beck album before he got stuck in with all the syths and mixing. It's very simple, almost folk in parts, and it helps show just how good the songs are. Something I think the production has lost on other records.

For me songs from this album to download would be...

Nobody's Fault But My Own
    We Live Again
    O Maria
    Sing It Again

7. Skelter

Skelter Helter

odelay is an incredible album, and midnite vultures is some of the worst music i've ever heard

8. RFyellow

RFyellow Member

Beck's "Sea Change" is a beautiful album. If you are familiar with his old stuff this album will be a huge surprise because it is so depressing. Not one song on this album is anything near being happy. I love this album so much though, it is great for listening to at night when you are alone. It is one of those albums that I always listen to from start to finish to get the full effect. I would recommend this album to anyone who has ever felt pain.

9. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

try mutations, that is a good album.

10. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

has anyone even herd "One Foot in the Grave"...

someone has to agree with me here, that this album is one of his best..

11. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

I've always liked "Loser". Beck's quite cool

12. lilfriendlysocal

lilfriendlysocal Guest

Songs: Puttin it Down, Stereopathic Soul Manure
    Satan Gave me a Taco, Stereopathic Soul Manure
    Beercan, Mellow Gold
    Nitemare Hippy Girl, Mellow Gold
    Sexx Laws - Midnight Vultures
    Mixed Bizness - Midnight Vultures
    Lost Cause - Sea Change
    Jack Ass - Odelay
    Devil's Haircut - Odelay
    Where it's at - Odelay
    Loser - Mellow Gold
    Row On - Stereopathic Soul Manure
    Soul Sucking Jerk - Mellow Gold
    Pay No Mind - Mellow Gold

Albums

I Love Stereopathic Soul Manure. It is on an indie lable, it's very raw, lots of recordings from when he was a bum.
    I love Mellow Gold and Odelay and Midnight Vultures.

I Love Beck, we share the same birthday, July 8. I met him at a party in Hollywood once, no fucking joke. It was "Club Make-uP" at the El Ray on Santa Monica Blvd. I got invited because I was promoting it, it was the Moulin Rouge CD and film release party. Beck covered David Bowie's Diamond Dogs on the CD. It was my first LA party and it was full of flamboyant drag queens in the Moulin Rouge attire. Beck was very incognito, in jeans, wearing a hat, scarf, cardigan and one star tennis shoes. My man went up behind him and said,
    "Milking the Kay tale" (SP?) like kaytale records only i'm sure that's not how you spell it. Anyway it was a line from a poem on the inside cover of Mellow Gold. Beck took three steps, then turned around and came over to us and started chatting,
    just asking us if we were enjoying the show, and the club and do you come here often. He does about once a month or every other month or so. It's a pretty cool place, he said. then have a good evening.

He's the only famous person besides Hank Williams III that I have ever met and I would have picked to meet Beck if anyone had ever asked which famous person I would like to meet.