Beans, too much starch? Confused...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Eagle Rose, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Eagle Rose

Eagle Rose Member

I was talking to my friend who is a meat-eatter.

And of course they told me I wasn't getting protein..

I told them with beans, soybean in particular... I was getting my share of protein just fine.

She told me I was getting too much starch? Is this true? Is it that bad? If so, what can counteract the negative effects?

Thanks

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

That's just some bullshit left over from the Atkins diet craze.

There's no way you can get 'too much' of anything if you've got a generally healthy balanced diet. So unless your starch only comes from fries or donuts then you're fine.

I've always lived pretty much off starch (even as an omni) and it's never been a problem. Besides Asians eat loads of rice with everything and they're the healthiest people in the world.

So, nah, don't worry about it. :)

3. Eagle Rose

Eagle Rose Member

So Im fine with eatting beans? :D

4. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

You're aok, dude. I'm checking out a bag of beans right now...

Fat: 0%
    Protein: 30%
    Carb (fiber): 30%
    Carb (starch): 39%
    Carb (sugar): 1%

Man, that's about as perfect as any food source can be. Seriously. A lot of people forget that Carb (fiber) is the good stuff. It's the Carb (starch/sugar) that makes you fat. Beans balance it out perfectly.

I gotta agree with Atkins on one point... if it's white, then it's probably starchy (pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar). Beans on the other hand are packed with color & nutrients.

Haha, so next time a meat-eater gives you the BS about not enough protein, just say, "Hey pal, I'll race you. 1 mile. Then we'll see who's healthy." (you'll win every time!) ;)