Bead Swap?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by knotty rye, Apr 8, 2007.

1. knotty rye

knotty rye Member

Is anybody interested in doing one of these?
    Did this already happen?

2. im totaly interested! i love making beads for my hair, with femo,i would love to share.

3. Slang

Slang Banned

I'm down :D
    I use super sculpey clay for mine

4. me tooo! that stuff is awsome. so how will this work? who will start off?

5. sped

sped Member

Hey I just started making some this week, gee polymer clay is pricey. I saw a site someone had posted up here with their beads that really inspired me. Any idea what the link was..?

6. Yakima

Yakima Member

This sounds like a great idea! I'm in! :)
    I use to make beads in clay. When it's burned in oven it turns into plastic.
    Hopefully shipping won't be a problem...

7. knotty rye

knotty rye Member

i have no idea how to make beads, i just thought it would be a fun idea! what kind of polymer should i get, and are there any good tutorials you guys know?

8. Slang

Slang Banned

It's not hard, you don't really need a tutorial. You just shape the clay to whatever you want it to be, poke a hole though (with something hollow like a straw is the easiest) and voila. Of course you then have to bake the clay, the instructions for that are usually on the packaging. As for what kind though: polymer clay is expensive, awesome looking but expensive. I went out to get some not too long ago, they wanted 8 bucks for one little package - of ONE color. blah. SO! An alternative to colored clay: paint it! Go to a craft store and look for some plain oven-bake clay. :p

I make some weird shit, just so everyone knows. lol I have an eyeball bead I've yet to paint, and a little 'shrunken head' ( which I normally make for necklaces and bracelets, but hey - why not dreads too :p ) pictures! Come on guys, let's have some pictures! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lil green head :D

[​IMG]
    Peace, Love, and Happiness =)

9. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

fimo and sculpy are fairly cheep...

10. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

You guys inspired me. I haven't worked with clay since high school, so this got me thinking... I've been looking everywhere for some cool beads and have come up with nothing, so why not make them myself. Seems fairly simple enough. So I went to the craft store, bought some Sculpey in white, hot pink & candy apple and voila, I've made some pretty snazzy beads... These pics are pre-baking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Slang

Slang Banned

Ooh, nice. Those're cool, nice choice of colors =D

12. bunjies

bunjies Member

ooooh i like those! they're purty :D
    if i make some can i play too?

13. who wants to start?

14. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

I'm down. I just bought some more colors, including Blue & Yellow so I can make me some Buffalo Sabres beads! I can't wait to make more.

15. knotty rye

knotty rye Member

i'm going to order some on ebay!
    polymer that is.

16. Slang

Slang Banned

Gotta make some for trading before I start though, don't have any yet :eek:

17. tomray666

tomray666 Member

Hey, how do i go about making beads? Live in Uk and wouldnt mind the odd bead nestled inbetween my dreads somewhere. I should also b posting some pics so as i feel my hair is slowly starting to come along. Just waiting for some of that accelator spray to arrive.

18. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

wow slang, the one you have that's blue with the white peace sign i have made the same one. same colors, same shape...everything. lol

19. Slang

Slang Banned

Haha, that's funny :D
    Strange as well, but pretty cool

20. happiehippie

happiehippie Member

hi guys, is this still going? [​IMG]I'd love to swap 'pretties' (that's what I like to call dread beads ect). Even if you don't make your own, buy them. We don't all live in the same country so I'm sure you all have different beads. What I think is boring may be fantasic on the other side of the world! Being able to wear something in your dreads from a stranger is a fantastic idea. Anyone interested? [​IMG]