Beaches and Close Inland Towns, Countryside

Discussion in 'North and South Carolina' started by SpottedEagle, Jun 12, 2006.

1. SpottedEagle

SpottedEagle Member

Hi All,

Great thing this Hip Forum stuff, just found it. Hey, we are in need of some serious "hip inside information". My beloved and I began our pilgramige from Marin County last October, looking for a place to call home that we can afford to live in. Marin was very cool in many ways, but millionaires we are not, LOL!

We love the beach but NOT the hurricaines so we are thinking about finding some cool little town to live in or even somewhere in the country say like 45min to an hours drive inland from a very cool beach. We are hoping to find an area that is alternative, i.e. "hip", meaning like health food stores, yoga, the barest minimum of Bush voters, etc.. I think you get the picture, yes?

Currently we are living near Pensacola, beautiful crystal clear water here, a slice of paradise, but I think maybe 2 or 3 people here didnt vote for Bush, massive military vibe, and health food? yoga? whats that?

So, any thoughts on the subject or good advice or leads will be most appreciated.

Peace,
    Ralph and Manda
    http://www.mandalawebdesigns.com/

2. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

John's island outside of charleston SC

3. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

yup, johns island is very nice, rural, but close to town. I live on folly beach...love it. I keep moving and keep coming back(btw, I lived in Melbourne Beach for awhile)
    You schould come and check out Folly...its not like the rest of charleston. While town is great, the beach has its own vibe. Everyone that lives out here...if we leave the island, its becaue we HAVE to(job, school, etc)

There was this great singer/songwriter that lived out here(he has gone off to greener pastures) and he had the best line in one of his songs:

"Will the last one home please blow up the bridge"

we strive hard to fight development(sadly, we lose sometimes) and we are a bird sanctuary( I have had 2 red-tailed hawks sitting outside my door for 3 months now), and everyone I know is liberal(which is rare in this state)

I encourage you to visit Charleston and her surrounding areas and see, maybe, if this is what you're looking for??