BBC: No to DEC advert.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by odon, Jan 31, 2009.

1. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Still seems to be rumbling along.

My first reaction was: "So what"
    Then as this story has rumbled on, the BBC seem to have done exactly what they claimed they did not want to do, and fell into the trap they seeked to avoid.
    They HAVE advertised the DEC appeal - albeit indirectly.
    Endless blather about it on almost every bleedin' news bulletin (avoiding mentioning this "controversy" and the situation in Gaza - convieniently) and debate programmes.
    (You can also go to their website and find the DEC link.)
    How many millions of people have viewed that page do we imagine? 1 -2 3 - 3 - 4 million people!
    They have provoked question of their impartiality...from Israeli apologist to having zionists at the top of BBC management.

Good job BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7858823.stm

So, it is ok for your so-called impartiality to only stretch to TV?

2. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Yeah,the BBC originally did the right thing by not airing that Hamas/Palestinian rubbish.But thats where it should have ended.As far as many are concerned any type of publicity for Hamas and their followers just benefits these terrorists of the worst kind,and a 'so-called' responsible outfit like the BBC should know better.

3. Hiptastic

Hiptastic Unhedged

I think this was a mistake actually, they should have broadcast the appeal. At this point they seem to be trying to find a way to save face more than anything.

4. odon

odon Slightly Popular

It wasn't about Hamas/Palestinian: it was about people.
    It deffinitly was not about publicity for Hamas.
    Did you watch it?

5. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Very true. Why should the ads be banned? That would have been like banning the ads Bush 1 and Clinton did for the Tsunami victims, or all the pleas for donations after Katrina.

6. odon

odon Slightly Popular

In the eyes of the general public...there are many theories...too many to name. From, pressure on the BBC's commercial arm...to indirectly funding hamas...via one starnge theory about zionists at the head of the BBC.

One of the reasons the BBC say is that those kind of ads are for natural disasters.
    The events in Gaza were hardly a natural disaster were they?
    They are/were highly politicaly motivated events.
    Both sides have been claiming a bias.
    So, they are damned if they do show the ad and damned if they don't.
    But, they have pretty much broadcast it one way or another anyway...and I assume they could have edited there own version of the ad if they were not happy with the DEC version.

I just can't get my head around their decision to be honest.

7. gardener

So human life only counts during natural disasters? Funny how some people can turn on and off their sense of compassion.

8. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Odon,no I did not watch it.But I still say the BBC was 100% right when they did not air the ad.Proper journalism is not supposed to take sides.Airing that ad would be taking sides.And from what I've heard from the UK,most people agree with the BBCs original decision.Even an ad for aid,still gives publicity to a group that is already so overrepresented in the media..--I guarantee you the people that are complaining are a very small amount of radicals.And its the BBCs fault now for becoming the news as opposed to reporting it.

9. odon

odon Slightly Popular

If the BBC thought that then they would not have links to the DEC and they would not have allowed people to make personal adverts for the appeal on just about all the news I have seen. For some stupid reason they seem to think if they do not personaly give airtime then they won't be seen to be biased. Which is just stupid given the amount of comments of their bias, anyway.

10. odon

odon Slightly Popular

It has nothing to do with BBC journalism.
    True. They did keep claiming that it would clash with their news reports...but convieniently they managed to not let them both clash all of last week while the controversy was at full tilt.
    They managed to avoid mention of Gaza for a few days and naval gaze instead. Weird that, don't you think?

I don't think so.
    Even cabinet ministers disagree...

You can find it on youtbe.
    If you do find it and watch it then can still say it was giving publicity to Hamas...it might say something about your bias, rather than the DEC.

11. gardener

It would appear in a sense they have done the right thing. And I did view the ad, in no sense do I see it as propaganda for any political stance but the children and those that are suffering.

12. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

In all fairness since I did not view the advert , perhaps I should have not commented on this topic.

13. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Do go and watch it and see what you think.
    You seem to have strong opinions...your input would be appreciated.

14. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Well, no sense I can fathom at the moment.

Me neither. Me too.

15. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Thankyou odon.I must say I rarely if ever view videos on the computer,but later on I may take a look at it,and if I do I'll post my view on your thread.

16. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Thanks.