BBC - "Cannabis disrupts brain center"

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Marijuana' started by PurpleGel, Apr 30, 2007.

1. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

2. DepTh

DepTh Member

my friend has a history of schizophrenia in his family and he smokes everyday w/o any signs of it

3. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

The next new wave of research to attempt to scare young people away from the dangerous marijuana plant :rolleyes:

4. DeliPro

DeliPro Member

Marijuana can trigger mental illness, but if you are that close to being crazy that something as harmless as marijuana sets it off, you probably would have gone crazy eventfully.

5. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

^eventually. yes, i definitely agree.

6. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i think they make a good point, though, that (IDEALLY) teenagers shouldn't use drugs because their brains are certainly still developing--they're going through very important stages i might add.... but then again, millions of people have smoked pot as teenagers and have ended up "fine" (or at least they learn to cope with whatever "deficiencies" they may have as a result of smoking).

i'm not going to quit using cannabis. in fact, i'm taking hits right now ;)

7. monsterhill

monsterhill Member

I do not really believe all these claims they make on the news. If you think about it people in Jamaica smoke it and have done for a long time and i have never met a crazy Jamaican person. I know two Jamaicans who use weed they hold up a good job they are always happy and always fun to be around. I do not think they are crazy at all.

8. darkain

darkain Member

LMAO. Every summer my Dad ships in 10 or so Jamaicans to work on his farm. They're all crazy. Nuts how fast and how hard they work. Picking Stawberries you get paid by the basket, most ppl make 10 dollans an hour, Jamaicans make 30+ becuase they work so hard.

They always have crazy stoires, one got married here, and just never returend home to his wife in Jamaca. He said he didn't care lol.

I love Jamaicans, but they are definatly strange.... like tlaking to themselves, really emotional, love fat white woman... you know, crazy stuff.

9. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

the world can host armies of madmen like those with no damage. it's those like Seung-Hui Cho who really scare me. maybe he only needed a huge big spliff and more likely some good HEAD .

10. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

they also state that potency of GRASS has skyrocketed in the last years. I've been reading this story since the eighties, it seems that weed potency never stops growing... they also say it is more dangerous than LSD, and at this point the red "bullshit" lamp starts to throb in your mind.

11. slinkie

slinkie Member

12. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

I reckon cannabis and psychedelics can trigger something in the mind with long term use.
    Just because someone you know smokes and 'doesn't show signs of turning psychotic', doesn't mean a thing. What goes on in a person's mind isn't always the same as what they show.
    However I hate reports that blame murders and violent horrific crimes purely on the smoking of marijuana, when what these reports don't take into account is other areas of a person's life and history.
    The long term smoking of strong skunk hybrids or quality hash will definitely effect a person's attitude and behaviour when they eventually stop. It's inevitable. Your body/mind gets into the smoking routine (I'm talking for years in a row), it finds it hard to get out; simple. Simple, shit at first, but hackable.
    I used to smoke day in, day out without giving much of a fuck and when I eventually had to go a few days without, it was shit. I didn't know what to do, got bored, didn't feel hungry, didn't get tired at night... and it was all in relation to not smoking weed. A week later, I'm eating, sleeping, more motivated, feeling mentally normal and not wanting a spliff. That week though, in all fairness, was hell and my ways of thinking changed.
    Cannabis definitely has psychological after effects for long term user. Live in denial if that's what you like, but the BBC and other government drug references aren't helping much by over-exaggerating the situation.

13. MeowMix

MeowMix Member

Sweet I'll never have to smoke by myself again :)

14. darkain

darkain Member

Norml might be ALOT more bias then BBC :p Eitherway, weed can't be all good, there has to be some negative side effects.

15. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i'm a member of Norml. we'll discuss this at our chapter's meeting tomorrow afternoon.

16. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

Marijuana can trigger mental illness, but if you are that close to being crazy that something as harmless as marijuana sets it off, you probably would have gone crazy eventfully.

Sounds right to me. Always someone saying pot is bad for you.

To much of anything is not good for you too.

Plus I think I am willing to take that risk LOL

17. Soulphil

Soulphil Member

First of all, They just did tests on ThC and not thinking about the fact the cannibus has over 421 psychoactive chemicals in it. These chemicals work hollistically and each chemical plays a different role in the processes that equal the HIGH. To systematically test each these chemicals is to deny the true dynamics of marijuana. Maybe too much THC, the most abudant and potent chemical in marijuana is damaging to the brain, however weed is a plant(to some a holy sacrament) and it is not a man made pill that is purely THC. Surely botanist technique has gave the world stronger pot, but in my opinion as long as there is no dangerous non-natural additives (raid, embalming fluid, etc.)it is safe. I think natural grown weed wateva the potency is still natural, however different tecniques of growing it make it alot stronger (to grow only female plants enables the plant to sprout more buds and the buds are the crytalized strong shiz). God created cannibus and we cannot deny the glory that is mother nature. But moderation is key, especially with high grade stuff. Take alcohol 4 example, most people need more beer than hard liquor to get trashed. All alcohlic drinks are different in potency and self control is the key to protecting yourself.
    Psychosis is the imbalance of neurotranmitters in the brain and the function of MaryJane is to speed up balance, homeostasis. When people first try weed, sometimes they get paranoid. In theory, if grass is a balancing catalyst, these repressed, imbalanced feelings that were kept at bay might be frightening at first. Drug induced schizophrenia due to pot, ectasy, LSD is not full blown schizophrenia, however the symptoms are similar and often misdiagnosed as that. Im not a psychiatrist, but i am informed about things and sometimes jaded assumptions lead to false conclusions. Marijuana is not a narcotic, but it is a drug that should be given to people in need of its psychological, physical and spiritual potential. Also its fun, its theurepeutic and its safer than alcohol and cigarettes; the legal vices.

18. TRIP TO ECLIPSE

TRIP TO ECLIPSE Member

Its rubbish cannabis can help mental health issues such as ocd and tourettes syndrome and can actually be beneficial to anxiety and depression. when someone has a mental illness they go to see a psyciatrist and as soon as they say theyve used cannabis the doctor blames cannabis in the uk nearly every young person smokes pot. so instead of finding the true reason for there problems they just blame cannabis.And say youve got cannabis psychosis.Most adults in the uk drink alcohol so when they go to see a psyciatrist the psyciatrist doesnt say youve got alcohol psycosis because you drink alcohol.Heavy alcohol use is much more damaging to mental health than heavy cannabis use.And another thing i watched a documentary on so called cannabis induced mental illness the sectioned patients were trying to get cannabis smuggled in in a myriad of ways if this drug was torturing there mind so much there hardly gonna be desperate to keep on using it it obviously is helping there mental health problems not creating them or making them worse.For instance you just have to look at the horrific side effects of prescription anti depressants on people such as the suicide and even homocides that drugs such as paxil or seroxat as its known in the uk have done.The drug companies of course knew this in the late 1980s but withheld the information that pointed to any bad side effects.Another example of scum bag concionless big buisness. [ TURN ON TUNE IN DROP OUT]

19. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

Some of you make me sick. Your all like "yaaa we told u weed was good" when scientists prove THC can kill cancer cells or w/e, then when u find out it can be harmful your like naaah there doin it to scare kids. Either you believe everything a scientist claims, or nothing.

20. MOZMAN

MOZMAN Member

A skunk farm got raided near where i used to live and the headlines on the front page of the local rag was "GARDENS OF EVIL" with this pig stud in the middle of it all.

You never see drink advertised as "BOTTLES OF POISON" do you!