Battle Royale

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by underthesun, Aug 19, 2008.

1. underthesun

underthesun Member

anyone seen this movie? it's amazing. watch it.

2. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

that just came out right??
    who stars in it??

3. ishikabe

ishikabe Member

It's a good one.

4. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

are you talking about the banned japanese version? i saw it when my buddy brought it over once and it was brutal

5. UPSxSativa

UPSxSativa Member

i loved it soo much the book is probably the best ive ever read (not that gay manga crap either),one of the most brutal things ive ever read/ heard was in there a chick stepping on a guys balls til they burst ehhhhh..it hurts me

6. This is probably one of my favorite movies! :)
    The soundtrack is amazing too! I cried when I read when Shogo died.
    He was an awesome character. So was the ones who survived.
    I heard there making an American Version.

7. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

haha this was a really good movie. plausible

8. Yes I agree! :)
    I'm currently reading the book.

9. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

banging film, this one

10. ganesha1967

ganesha1967 barefoot bellybearer

Since I came around this joke about "The Hunger Games", I wondered, what "Battle Royale" would be like:

[​IMG]

Well, it's decidedly different from other movies, dealing with the concept of having one person or a group of people competing in a deathmatch for entertainment reasons, such as in the German TV production "Das Millionenspiel", or brought to TV by a totalitarian government such as in "The Running Man" or "The Hunger Games" (the last one definitely weaker than the novel... even though Suzanne Collins was involved in the screenplay, many emotionally strong and disturbing parts were left out... I suppose to keep it PG-13...). There are several fan-made videos, though, which are just as bloody as the novel suggests.

Had Quentin Tarantino written and directed "The Hunger Games", it would've looked a lot like this:

[​IMG]

(Actually, this is the victor of the last battle royale, as seen in the beginning of the movie... woops, I forgot: Spoiler Alert! :D )

The music used for the movie score is in some moments really ironically placed... Quite brillant is using "Dies Irae" from Giuseppe Verdi's Requiem as the opening music. The irony comes with using Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube" or the "Radetzkymarsch", and really over the top, somewhere between Tarantino and John Woo, is the use of J.S. Bach and his "Air on a G string" during a killing scene.

And, for sure, Tarantino must have seen and liked "Battle Royale", too, since he did cast Chiaki Kuriyama (who played Girl #13, Takako Chigusa) to play the crazy school-uniformed bodyguard Gogo Yubari in "Kill Bill, Vol. 1".

It was also nice to see Tatsuya Fujiwara (as Shuya Nanahara), before he appeared in the "Death Note" live-action movies in the role of Light Yagami.

I was puzzled to read, that it was banned... It's available via Amazon here (Germany), just not sold to minors. Nevertheless, there are always people, who also are kind enough upload whole movies like this one to YouTube, as well (here, with English subtitles)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwE5-ecnH8g"]battle royal - YouTube

I guess, I will order the two "Battle Royale" movies (there was a sequel, too), together with "The Hunger Games" from Amazon... I already have "Das Millionenspiel" and "The Running Man" (uncut version) to almost complete the series of movies with the dying and killing for TV entertainment theme... I should get "Le Prix du Danger", too, since this is directly adapted from the original of it all, "The Price of Peril", the 1958 novel by Robert Sheckley. Then, the series would be complete.

Wiggling bare toes,

~*Ganesha*~

11. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

At a guess, it must be Japanese. Quinton Terintino has nothing on the Japanese except sex appeal, which they are squeamish about. All the original spaghetti westerns were based on centuries old Japanese tales. There's a reason the Japanese invented Zen and only westerners like it.