batik and tie dye

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by cerridwen, Jan 26, 2005.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

who here does both? which do you prefer?

For me, tie dye is much easier and less messy than batik, but I love how batik turns out.... I want to make some curtains, maybe when I move in to the new house...

2. carnelian

carnelian Member

in swedish tie-dye is also called "batik" so i don't know the difference between what you in english call "batik" and "tie-dye". but i guess it's tie-dye i do, with strings.

3. Cre

Cre Senior Member

I love to batik..although I haven't touched my batiking box in about a year now. :(

4. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i dont do either, but tie dye is sexy
    i want everything in my house to be tie dye.
    wooooo yay for tie dye.

5. sunandmoon

sunandmoon Member

I do both. But I can't really say which I like best. I've combined the two on different pieces. And both can be really messy (last week I had turquoise paw prints all over the house, courtesy of one of my kittens). I also love the way batik looks. I've found it's easier to do large pieces outside, though. I tack them onto saw horses stretched out in the back yard. So I usually save those for pretty, warm days.

6. carnelian

carnelian Member

how do you do batik? i only know the ways with strings.

7. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I've never done batik but it involves using wax to keep the fabric from absorbing the color. You put the wax on in a certain pattern or shape and then dye the fabric. After the dye is set you wash the fabric in really hot water to get the wax out. I think you have to treat it with something to get all the wax out too. It makes pretty cool designs in the fabric.

Kathi

8. WOODSPIRIT

WOODSPIRIT Member

I just Tie dye or do the reverse with bleach. Never wear anything but the shirts I tie dye and a pair of cammo's with my moc's. Oh yeah and I can't forget my bib over-alls.

_Peace Love and Happiness to all