Bathroom Tips

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by learn2see, Jun 16, 2012.

1. learn2see

learn2see Member

My bathroom sports some hideous old wooden paneling painted white. Too bad it was ruined with the paint job. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to make it look a little better? It's just a powder room, no shower or tub... I'm drawing a blank as to what to do with it.

2. greenbay

greenbay Guest

Maybe a wall sticker? the white colour of the wall woud be a great background

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

4. learn2see

learn2see Member

possibly painting. I don't even know because it's ugly wood paneling painted with peeling white paint.

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Can also be done with a sponge. Works nicely with bright colours, like orange and yellow or something.

OP, if it's peeling, scrape the shit off and use a stain on the wood. If it won't come off nicely you can either use a sander, and/or a chisel, depending on the look you're going for. If you're the creative type and/or don't have enough to do, you could even carve it.

6. karev321

karev321 Banned

Maybe put some nice posters of your fav band or something and laminate the wall. Also you could do the kind of painting shown above it is a good idea. You could also spray paint it as it wont require a smooth surface. You could decide from the options. Good luck!

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If it's really small,as it sounds from your description,you could find some wood that you like and panel over the mess. Shouldn't cost too much. There are even places that have re-claimed-recycled wood that might do the trick. I have used 4 by 8 natural panelling on it's side from the floor up,put door molding at the top(which would be the side of the panel )and then put nice-smelling cedar shingles from the door molding up to the ceiling. Something like that may be more than you want to do,but anyway,that's what I did. Good luck.

8. rosemarie

rosemarie Guest

Hallo.
    I think its depend on your bathroom texture. When a bathroom renovation goes awry, Mike comes in and makes it right.

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Would You Be So Kind As To Introduce Mike To Us...[​IMG].???

Cheers Glen.

10. karev321

karev321 Banned

If you would have a theme based bathroom what would the theme be..? Share your ideas.. And also how would you go about the renovation at a budgeted rate. I am looking for some ideas to do up my ow bathroom

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Mine has an unintentional foggy mountain theme.
    I had forest green towels, he had grey. I got a stone grey bath mat.
    I hung one of my own paintings, done one cloudy day, that echoes the whole fog on the mountainside feel.

12. karev321

karev321 Banned

Hi drumminmama. I really like your idea of a mountain them. Its kind of different. I have also seen a forest themed bathroom which looks good too. A of of wood and plants in there along with traditional bathroom vanities to go with the theme.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

More importantly, what do you like?
    Do you like shiny chrome? Certain colors? A period in time?

14. karev321

karev321 Banned

I have purchased online a Bathroom vanity which looks traditional and antique. I really loved it. My bathroom decor is too simple. I want to know what can I change to give the bathroom the antique look. I was thinking of changing the door knob and also maybe the tiles. What color scheme will be a good option with a brown antique vanity.

15. AmyBeachGirl

AmyBeachGirl Member

Cream Tiles will go especially well and maybe older style taps if you can get them at a reasonable price if that is a factor.

16. clairehobby

clairehobby Member

17. karev321

karev321 Banned

Thank you AmyBeachGirl and clairehobby. I looked at the link of pinterest and really loved the mirror. The border is great and has given me an idea to change the mirror first, as it is the easiest to purchase. Also the wallpaper behind looks great and adds to the beauty of the decor. I am not sure if wallpapers are a great idea for bathrooms.

18. clairehobby

clairehobby Member

hi,dear karev,i dont think wallpaper is suitable for bathroom,both the service life of the wallpapers and the home protection,in common,tile is the best choice for bathroom and the kitchen,wallpaper is always used for our living room and the tv wall.
    i am also on the home improvment,very glad to exchange ideas with you.

19. karev321

karev321 Banned

Thanks Clirehobby, I also think the same that thought there are plenty of designs available in wallpapers they are not always the best ideas for bathrooms. One must always go in for tiles. Also I read somewhere that with an antique Vanity in the bathroom, contemporary tiles can look very interesting if paired wisely. So I will actually see some pictures online if available and check how it would look.

20. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

Search antique shops/craigslist, also, for some antique/country style vanity mirrors or medicine cabinets. I see a bunch online at any given time