barefoot in winter?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by organic.psychonaut, Sep 18, 2006.

1. organic.psychonaut

organic.psychonaut Member

do you continue to go barefoot in winter? if not, what do you wear that's not too restricting? i'd prefer not to wear socks, but i'm pretty flexible...i'm just looking for some ideas.

2. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Please tell us where you live or what your winters are like. That can make a huge difference!

3. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

yeah, here in southeast texas, "winter" is a subjective term. what we call cold here, can be concidered warm in North Dakota, ie: 40F. I go barefoot most of our "winter"

4. KParker730

KParker730 Member

hmmm here in colorado i am not sure about being barefoot in winter. lots of times it goes under 0 with snow on the ground much of the time. But then again there are days where its 50 and really sunny!

5. Hawklord

Hawklord Member

I continue to go barefoot in winter. I live in South-west Germany. Sometimes it is cold in the winter here. I don't walk barefoot if there is a lot of salt on the pavement. If i wear shoes i don't wear socks. (I dislike socks more than shoes).

6. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

MUD between my toes.. i can't wait for the rain... but i'm in cali.. so it's warm still in the winter

7. organic.psychonaut

oh yeah, i live in BC, canada...it doesn't get way too cold here, but it's probably too cold for bare feet. i'm not sure though..

8. kwiley

kwiley Member

living in cali grants the opportunity to stay bare all winter which I couldn't be more thankful for after spending one winter in Denver. I guess you just have to hold out as long as you can!

9. NJnudedude

NJnudedude Member

I have made it a habit to venture out every day barefoot even in the winter. If it's cold and dry you can spend quite some time as long as you keep moving. On the other hand (foot) if it is wet and slushy, be careful, frostbite will bite!

Winter is not as difficult as you might think provided you have been barefooting during the other three seasons. Even now, mid-September, the ground is warmer than you might think.

Keep em bare, you'll have interesting conversations

10. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I go barefoot year-round, here in the Netherlands it usually doesn't get too cold; most of the time it's just a little above freezing. Most winters we get a few weeks of freezing temps & a few days of snow, but I can handle that too. I've worked outside for hours with temps of well below freezing, as long as I dress very warm from the ankle up & use even a covering of the top of my foot, I can keep my soles bare and my toes get less cold than they used to get when I still wore boots! Those evil things limit the circulation, so when you are outside for a long time, you end up with those painful little clumps of ice in your boots, and they hurt when coming back indoors! I haven't had that problem when barefooting, even though I've been outside a lot in winter.

11. whatnoshooz

whatnoshooz Member

I live in BC too (Vancouver). I've found that it is possible to go barefoot on certain days in our mild winters, especially indoors. I'd suggest the Vancouver Flea Market (nice cement floors), the Public Library, the Art Gallery, the Aquarium, etc. Just take your shoes off off inside, and carry them around with you.

Anyway, if you're going to brave out the winter barefoot, rest assured, you won't be the only one!

Mark

12. organic.psychonaut

:D awesome, thanks for all the encouragment, guys!! yeah man, i live on vancouver island...not too far away! it definitely hasn't been getting too cold lately. i don't think it's ever been this warm so far into september...

13. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

yea... im in minnesota... cant really bare it in the winter... can be well below 0F... with lots of snow/ice on the ground.. remember.. you gotta make sure your body is safe as well... could end up with frost bite and such barefooting in really cold weather.. i personally wouldnt advise it at all... if anything get a clog of sorts.. something that covers the foot.. but can easily be kicked off

14. dont worry be happy

dont worry be happy Member

i live on gold coast australia n the temp only gets down to bout 7 degrees so its still barefoot for me.

15. organic.psychonaut

nice, that's so lucky. my toes are already starting to get too cold, especially in the mornings. they usually warm up by the afternoon though, since it's still pretty warm around here!!

16. whatnoshooz

whatnoshooz Member

You're on Vancouver Island? Have you gone barefoot in downtown Victoria yet?

17. bkcmar

bkcmar keep those feet bare

organic.psychonaut, i would start out slow. if your feet are cold, wear flip flops. that way your feet will become acclamated to your climate.

i live in the deep south, so the weather is conducive to being barefoot almost year round. as long as the temps are mid 50's farenhight or above i am comfortable barefoot outdoors.

good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of barefooting.

18. organic.psychonaut

yeah man, i did when i went there for pride day in the summer!! it was awesome.
    and yeah, i mostly have been wearing flip-flops, when i'm not in barefeet of course. so mostly just for school is when i wear flip flops, but they're not that bad. at least i don't have to wear socks...

19. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

do you think school will ever allow us not to wear shoes/flip flops. or is there too much of a health concern?

20. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

more likely "safety" issues than health, coupled with the "fear" of a law suit if little johnny comes home with a splinter in his foot or a broken toe.