Barefoot in Church - y/n?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by bud08, Jun 8, 2004.

1. bud08

bud08 Member

* Posted this in the bare it forum and got positive feedback - just wondering what type of feedback I would get in this forum.

I love going barefoot and every new place that I go barefoot is a minor victory for me. I fear people’s reactions, more than how my feet would react to different surfaces. Which often prevents me from going barefoot into public places more often.

As with most places the dress code seems more relaxed, I’ve noticed people wearing shorts and often a t-shirt to church. I love being comfortable as much as the next person does but I still believe in wearing docker style pants and a collar shirt to church. When it comes to footwear I tend to be more casual, when weather permits I wear flip-flops to church. Well thinking as other barefoot enthusiast do ~ wearing flip-flops is not much different than going barefoot, your foot is already exposed just walking on your own soles. So I recently attended church without shoes, but at first I had mixed emotions – I’m I doing something disrespectful and this feels good (helped that the church is carpeted)

I don’t think I would have tried going barefoot to church if it wasn’t for the fact that I didn’t know anyone there. This goes back to the fact that I fear others reaction to me being barefoot, places people aren’t use to seeing other without shoes.

Has anyone else ever gone barefoot to Church?

Is going barefoot to Church acceptable?

Does anyone have any similar experiences in public establishments/church?

Bud08

2. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

When I was younger I went to church barefoot, and my cousin does now. She's a cool girl, she goes barefoot everywhere. Anyways, no one had a problem, but it's a pretty easy going church.

One thing that I get creeped out about going barefoot is being barefoot in public washrooms. Sometimes I see pubes on the floor. I don't want those stuck to my feet!

3. bud08

bud08 Member

I'm in my thirties so being barefoot in church maybe viewed differently. I have been to mass at least 3 occasions without shoes, which I haven’t noticed any weird reactions or heard any comments.

Bud

btw - I agree with you on the public restrooms, that's the only place I have a problem going barefoot.

4. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, it's not going to be like god is going to be pissed off because you went barefoot to church. he didn't create us with shoes on our feet.

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It should be quite ok - in the old testament Moses was told to remove his shoes because he was treading on holy ground - so why should christians object?

6. paix

paix Senior Member

God doesn't care what you wear, and besides, when you were born you were naked and barefoot. The only reason I can think of to dress up or wear shoes to church is the fear of being judged by others, because all God cares about is your soul. Respect for God is not shown through clothing, it's shown through how you live your life and treat others.

7. freesue

freesue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Barefoot....why not? I'm a barefooted person myself. I'm actually quite uncomfortable in shoes.

It is common practice, in quite a few faiths, for one to remove their shoes before entering their holy places. Has been for ions. So, remove 'em I say.

Sue

8. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

I agree.
    I've often been barefoot to church, no problem with that. Only thing I didn't like...when someone asked me why I was barefoot and stuff and after all the reasons I gave still wasn'T convinced it's not a bad thing to be barefoot in church I used the argument I actually don't like: "Jesus didn'T wear trainers either, did he?" I don't like to say that because I'm not a believing Christian anymore and after that sentence the person looked at me as if I was a fundamentalist... *sigh*
    I think really what makes people not like to go barefoot to church is not that God might not like it, but simply the others' opinions and stares.

9. Woog

Woog Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Every animal except us goes butt neked everywhere. We are the only
    ones with morals and modesty both of which are destructive concepts.
    You don't need morals or modesty to discern right and wrong. And you
    don't need shoes or clothes to contemplate the infinite. If you go someplace that has a problem with that, you are in the wrong place, spiritually and otherwise. OK, so who wants to go chant to the infinite butt naked in the woods? I'm not so big on buildings either.

10. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Go to a Unitarian church, you can be barefoot there.

11. veinglory

veinglory Member

It depends on the church. I think it would be frowned up on some where women still wear hats and gloves to services...

12. queenannie

queenannie Member

I, myself don't go to church, in the traditional sense of the word. But if I did, I would definitely be going barefoot this Sunday. I think it is fine to go to church with bare feet, symbol of naked soul and truth.

I go many places wearing mocassin boots, I have 2 pair. People look at me quite odd, and I smile so sweetly at them, then hold the door open or whatever act of kindness is called for. They look at me even odder.

What kind of reaction did you get at church?

What kind of church is it?

Did your feet get dirty?

13. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

If the other people in that church don't like it, you can either go to a different church or put shoes on. The posting about a Unitarian church seems like a good one; Unitarians tend to be pretty free about just about everything.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i should think it rather obvious this would depend entirely upon the individual and their church or 'church' as the case may be

bear footed or bear whatever else'ed

=^^=
    .../\...

15. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I like being barefoot... when I was in highschool and going to church I'd go barefoot... People looked at me weirdly but I didn't care...

16. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You are entering someone else's holy place, you should respect their customs and rules. You have invited yourself into their presence, you must respect them and their religious views whether you agree or not. (They may not be as enlightened as you).

If they are not offended then go ahead, but I would ask the pastor, rabbi or priest first.

You have no right to make others uncomforable in their own place of whorship.

17. menlo1

menlo1 Member

The parish I used to go to was particular about what people wore. The nuns would complain if young people didn't show up in dress clothes. I'm sure they wouldn't have been too crazy about bare feet. The parish eventually went out of business. They should have been happy that people were even coming to the church. They pretty much bitched themselves out of existence.

18. the barefoot chef

the barefoot chef Member

I went to Church barefoot twice in the last year, both times to funerals. No-one said anything to me & then I decided that it was time to set up my own religion, where no-one could comment;

the Church of the barefoot Way

19. roly

roly Senior Member

Im pretty sure barefoot is ok. Anyways...going to church isnt about what u wear or image at all, tis about you and the Lord. Go for it. I myself have and do go to church barefoot, as and when i feel like it,with positive results!!
    Roly.xxx

20. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Last I checked, I did not see a sign on the front of my church that said, "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

I guess that means: no problem. =)

Edit: Nice avatar, roly.