Barefoot in Church - y/n?

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by bud08, May 16, 2004.

1. bud08

bud08 Member

:) First time post – I love going barefoot and every new place that I go barefoot is a minor victory for me. I fear people’s reactions, more than how my feet would react to different surfaces. Which often prevents me from going barefoot into public places more often.

As with most places the dress code seems more relaxed, I’ve noticed people wearing shorts and often a t-shirt to church. I love being comfortable as much as the next person does but I still believe in wearing docker style pants and a collar shirt to church. When it comes to footwear I tend to be more casual, when weather permits I wear flip-flops to church. Well thinking as other barefoot enthusiast do ~ wearing flip-flops is not much different than going barefoot, your foot is already exposed just walking on your own soles. So I recently attended church without shoes, but at first I had mixed emotions – I’m I doing something disrespectful and this feels good (helped that the church is carpeted)

I don’t think I would have tried going barefoot to church if it wasn’t for the fact that I didn’t know anyone there. This goes back to the fact that I fear others reaction to me being barefoot, places people aren’t use to seeing other without shoes.

Has anyone else ever gone barefoot to Church?

Is going barefoot to Church acceptable?

Does anyone have any similar experiences in public establishments/church?

• Getting tired of carrying shoes just to put them on before I go inside an establishment.

Bud08

2. ericf

ericf Member

If I go to church at all I am barefoot. At the very least I will wear sandels and kick them off at the door. I have gotten a few comments about it but nothing really bad. Just the usual banter. Frankly, a church should care more about a person's heart than their feet -- then again they'ld toss me out for that also. ;)

I actually have emergency flip-flops in my car for most situations but rarely wear them.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Didn't God tell Moses to take off his shoes when he talked to him on Mt. Sinai? Maybe he didn't want them to catch fire....but he specifically asked that he be barefoot. I would use that as my excuse. Plus...I sell soleless sandals!!

4. gurudev

gurudev Member

If you go to a Hindu or Buddhist temple you MUST take your shoes off before entering, it is respectful to do so. Our western society has forgotten how to pay proper respect to God. Today it is a shadow of what it once was.

Regardless of what others in the congregation might think, just know that you are doing the right thing by going barefoot or at least in your socks.

5. charredacacia

charredacacia Member

Exodus 3:5 "He said, ‘Do not come near here; remove your sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground'".

6. SunFree

SunFree Member

As for myself, I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with going barefoot to church! It seems it's more about not offending the traditionalists than communing with God. A friend and I have actually been discussing this recently, and we've come across a "must wear shoes to enter sanctuary" line. However, and this is really cool, my church is actually in process of building a new building, which will include a temporary outdoor sanctuary!! How awesome is that. So, after learning this, we immediately asked one of the pastors, and he conceded that, yes, if we're outside, he couldn't see anything wrong with going barefoot.

7. enjoylifeasmuchasyou

enjoylifeasmuchasyou Member

Well, didn't Jesus walk on his bare feet? How can being barefeet in church be disrespectful?

8. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

See! And I'm not even a preacher! I'm a girl!

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i was wondering the same thing, i thought jesus went barefoot!

10. bud08

bud08 Member

thanks for all the positive comments, guess I can put away my sunday shoes for the summer : )

bud

* Naked at Home - Barefoot in public

11. Syd Barett's cat

Syd Barett's cat Member

I'm a Witch and therefore Nature is my church and she doesn't mind if you wear shoes or not. The only problem with going barefoot in a christian church is the ever-looming presence of fascistic christio-narks that seem to think everything is blasphemy, but there aren't a lot of these.

12. ziggyfly

ziggyfly Member

I think it shouldn't be a problem going to church bare foot. I do it all the time.. but everyone just kinda knows i'm the bare foot boy. and if they were to say something Towards me.. i would just leave. God loooks for your heart not your shoes!

13. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

My Grandpa was a preacher so I've spent plenty of time in churches. It's common to see barefeet,I always take my shoes off if I do go,and so do most of the other women atleast.

Actually,in the churches I've been to,there were foot washing ceremonies. That's when everyone is barefoot...the women wash each other's feet..and the men wash each other's feet. It's an act of being humble and serving others,I think. Is that not common place in most churches?

14. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wear cute heels, but since the cuteness to comfort ratio isn't so great, the shoes usually come off during the church service :)

Jesus don't seem to mind :)

*giggles*

Just kidding :)

15. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Cute feet there Hippievixen!

16. inzgary

inzgary Members

I fell the same way you do. Every new place I go barefoot seems like a small victory. But I fear the reactions of other people. Especially my family. I'm the only one in my family who has entered an establishment barefoot. Im the only barefooter in my family. And I think it should be acceptable to go to church barefoot. I dont believe what you wear and what you dont wear should have anything to do with respect... just watch out for rich snobs because to them thats all that matters.