barefoot hiking

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by shaggie, Nov 4, 2005.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Going barefoot in Nature can be very comfortable once you're used to it. I don't bring any footwear with me anymore when I take walks and hikes. People sometimes have a negative, frustrated reaction to it at first because it's something different. It becomes natural and enjoyable once you're used to it, though. :)

http://www.barefooters.org/hikers/

2. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

theres a great place near here for hiking barefoot. been there a few times and seen others hiking barefoot.
    no glass, no trash. it's owned by a college.. and they want to keep it as clean as possible .. natural

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

State and metro parks are often a good place to hike in bare feet. Nature preserves and arboretums are usually clean and safe too. :)

4. lostdazedintime

lostdazedintime Fucked in the head

the first time I attempted hiking barefoot it was a liberating experience, much the same as the first time you go skinny dipping in a mountain lake. as i was truckin along i heard the one noise that scares me the most in the woods, the sound of of a rattlesnake, i look down and only inches from my left foot is a really pissed off rattler! the biggest adrenaline rush of my life hit me and without even thinking about it while screaming i ran at least a quarter of a mile back down the trail. When i finaly stopped i had this incredible "naked" feeling. A total trip though man is to hike completely nude, cept maybe a bandana to keep the sweat from dripping into your eyes.

Joe90 likes this.
  5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I've hiked nude too. It's a peaceful feeling. :) All of the plants brush over the skin which gives a sensual experience. It's fun to do after it rains too. You can feel every little drop from the plants hit the skin.

I'm fortunate that there aren't many snakes in my area and most aren't poisonous.

Joe90 likes this.
  6. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

only thing i worry about around where i hike barefoot is poison oak. i've highly allergic to it. if someone else gets it. i will get it too.

itchy right now thinking about it. i've never gotten it below my knees though.

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I think I've built up an immunity to poison ivy. It used to bother me, but now I can literally step on it barefoot and it doesn't bother my soles which are fairly thick. If it get on my legs then it's more of a problem. If you wash it immediately with alcohol it helps break up the oils.

I don't like pants that end near the ankles. The bottoms rub against poison ivy and then the pants continually rub my ankles or tops of my feet and make the skin irritated. But my feet don't seem to get bothered by poison ivy after stepping in it as long as my pants don't rub them.

8. lostdazedintime

lostdazedintime Fucked in the head

gotta wear a lotta sunscreen though, all that exposed surface area...

9. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

sunblock.. yes

i haven't for any type of poison oak in about 7 years. maybe i am immune to it now..
    it'd be nice to go for a hike now.. cool weather and it's rained a few times.. softening up the hard ground

10. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The fallen leaves soften up the trails too. That's why I like hiking barefoot in autumn. The leaves feel funny on the feet too, like dry paper. And wet leaves stick to the soles. :)

Sorry about the mud. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

ahaha very nice!!! that reminds me ..

the other day while riding my bike home. there was some construction on the side of the street.
    i had to get off my bike and walk through the grass.

cool crisp grass. i could feel the mud underneath. and it had a bunch of nice crunchy orange and red and brown leaves sprinkled all over the top of it.

getting chills remembering it

12. stoney

stoney Member

i walk everywhere barefooted, even when iam hitching down the road, iam bare foot, only wear that evil thing they call shoes when i hop trains

13. tjmichels

tjmichels Member

Barefoot hiking is great, even in cold weather. You can't beat the comfort and freedom.

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

15. april922

april922 Member

I go camping barefoot, and walk the nature trails barefoot.

16. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Cool, April. Nature preserves are some of the nicest places to walk without shoes.

I like autumn. The leaves cover up the gravel/dirt trails and make them more comfortable to walk on. :)

[​IMG]

17. bfe2012

bfe2012 Barefooter

I love being barefoot in a forest, swamps and trails. Its the best feeling ever.

18. Joe45432

Joe45432 Members

i love being barefoot in forests/ parks and have done since i was 7, Infact i though i was cool cos i was the only one but now my friends do it too its even more fun

19. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

I really enjoy hiking and I plan to get into rock climbing...nothing trumps
    being outside in nature

fem_fatale likes this.
  20. barefootconservative

barefootconservative Barefoot for God

I'd love to do some of that barefoot too.