Barefoot Firewalking

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Jun 16, 2017.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Firewalking is the act of walking barefoot over a bed of hot embers or stones.
    Firewalking has been practiced by many people and cultures in all parts of the world, with the earliest known reference dating back to Iron Age India – c. 1200 BC. It is often used as a rite of passage, as a test of an individual's strength and courage, or in religion as a test of one's faith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewalking

[​IMG]

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Call me a party pooper but no way would I try that.

3. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Hiwatari Matsuri, the fire-walking festival, is held on the second Sunday of March every year at Yakuoin Temple which is located atop Mt. Takao.

[​IMG]

4. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i assume the trick is just to keep your feet moving so that the hot coals don't have time to burn them. seems like it would be pretty easy, as long as a hot coal doesn't get stuck to the bottom of your foot.

6. j17435

j17435 Member

Do any cultures do barefoot mud walking?
    I'd be in for that. Fire, hot coals? Pass.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I stepped on a lit cigarette butt once. It hurt.

8. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

I think the Mythbusters once did an episode about this. The trick is that they set a layer of protective ash on top of the hot coals that insulates the burning embers from your feet. And you must also walk in a calm manner so as to not break the insulating layer of ash. But of course, it doesn't always work and injuries are reported on a regular basis.

I might give this a go under the supervision and care of trained emergency personnel. But without them, no.

Tags: