Barefoot at work

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by headymoechick, Jun 7, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I work in a very unconventional office. It helps that I'm the only office person besides the two owners. :p

Don't get me wrong- trying to run a business that is so unprofessional can be quite hard! I'm always trying to fix something someone else screwed up.

So I take advantage of the fact that we're unprofessional. And let me tell you, the pitter patter of my bare feet is such a calming sound in the middle of a busy work day! ;)

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

what type of company do you work for?

3. headymoechick

I work for a small company that makes steel and wood doors and partitions for executive offices in NYC in places such as Trump Tower, Mimi So Diamonds, ect.

We manufacture the frames here, and drive the 6-7 hours to the city to deliver them.

I run all the office stuff such as ordering material, doing payroll and taxes, I'm the receptionist, I clean the office, take care of the company account (which means I have to beg people for money) and any other small tasks that are involved in running a business.

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Yeah Im lucky that I get to be barefoot at work too.. I love it... And I can sneek up on people cause they cant hear me coming :).... It is the best not having to put on shoes... I only put them to walk from the parking ramp to the building and vise versa cause the streets here are filthy and I would hate to step on all the broken glass everywhere and get something from it..

5. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

I am doing it more and more. Especially when I'm manning the office on my own. I'm in a similar position. but tomorrow's a bit more interesting because for a change i know in advance I'm going to be on my own there. So I probably won't put wear any shoes all day from the moment I get out of bed. I will have to have some with me though in case I get asked go to into town for something.

6. headymoechick

It's so freeing and it makes me feel like less of an office drone. :)

7. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

I'm always more comfortable barefoot and so can concentrate and work better in whatever I'm doing. More often than not though we've got clients in for demos and stuff and presentation is important and we don't want to be distracting them from the products we're trying to sell after all. It's not been a bother for me until recently though as the weather's only just started to warm up. Now that it has I'll be less and less comfortable in shoes of any kind though and I'm getting to the point now that I won't wear shoes at all when I've definitely got no reason to. My employers have seen me barefoot in the office and said nothing but I've not been persistent or rubbed it in their faces as it were so far. We'll have to see what happens. We share the building with another company and I'm not bothered about being barefoot in front of them because they don't employ me. I'm not sure if that's strange or not.

8. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I'm a massage therapist and so I'm usually barefoot at work too. I love it! It helps to keep me grounded and is not annoying to my clients who don't have to hear my loud footsteps that wearing shoes would make. I do usually keep my feet pretty though in case my client has their eyes open when they are laying face down. :)

9. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Hey Headymoechick, that's a nice pic of you with your barefeet propped up on the couch, you're a cutie!!!!

To me one of the nicest sounds are barefeet pitter pattering on a tile floor or running over a concrete sidewalk!

10. Fangz

Fangz Member

I haven't really tried going barefoot at my work. I do wear my flip flops almost every day though, and when I am at my desk, they usually seem to slip off of my feet. No one has said anything yet.

I work at an aluminum engineering company in the I.T. department, so I am usually at a computer all day. But sometimes I have to go out to the factory to fix some of the systems out there, and I don't trust going out there barefoot because I would get aluminum slivers. It's kinda risky wearing my flops out there, but it's an excuse to keep my work in the factory short!

But If I could go completely barefoot without having to worry about that, or any other safety hazards, I would never wear a shoe again probably.

11. headymoechick

thanks, that's nice of you to say!

12. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

So far so good. I've been working quite happily and haven't put any shoes on since I left work yesterday. Been running all over the building and even popping in and out as well for various bits and bobs. i'd better actually get off this site and do some work now though, I have PCs to build!

13. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I work for a laundry service/drycleaners. I'm supposed to be wearing shoes everyday. However, the ladies I work with think it's fine that I work barefooted. So I don't think I've had my shoes on except maybe that first day. :D`

14. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Dude, you read my mind...I was about to post a topic about this and then I saw it was already done. I'm ALWAYS barefoot at work... our office is totally unconventional as well, and we barely have any "visitors" or clients that come in, so it's not offending anyone.

I don't see how barefeet is offensive anyway, but apparently it is to a lot of people. I could never work in one of those tight-wad offices where you have to wear closed toe shoes everyday and the like... I dont even know if I own a pair of closed toe shoes? When I do wear shoes, its mainly just sandals.

15. DG2001

DG2001 Member

WOW, Always barefoot at work? Do you walk barefoot outdoors, too?

Regards

DG

16. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

It's not necessarily offensive, in fact it isn't. But it IS a distraction and it will be unexpected to most people. And if you've got important clients coming over you want to show that you're making an effort to keep everything in order and not surprise them. You can't predict how these people might react. Some people might not find bare feet offensive but they might be put off by the informal approach to what they may have perceived as a very posh and proper business meeting. It's difficult to predict what effect, if any, it may have, and if you're just an employee working for an employer who's perfectly comfortable in shoes, it's going to be even more difficult to convince them to allow it, if they're very livelihood is resting on it. You can never be sure. It's not about what's right or wrong, true or false, it's about people's opinions and humouring them to keep things running smoothly.

17. headymoechick

haha, I took a pic of my feet early this morning.

I'm obviously working so hard.:rolleyes: :D

[​IMG]

18. DG2001

DG2001 Member

Wow, thanks headymoechick! You have very sexy feet. More pictures please! :)

Regards and keep working ;-)

DG

19. au_naturale

au_naturale Member

I go barefoot too! Of course when the big boss is around I have to hide! ha
    [​IMG]

my feetsies! (I called this pic the startled baby) hahah

20. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Your feeties are so pretty!!!! >.<