barefoot at the movies

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by solemum, Mar 8, 2012.

1. solemum

solemum Member

Dont know about you guys and gals, but one place I'm really paranoid about being barefoot is at the movies, specially when the lights go out. I hate those bloody latecomers who try to shuffle past you to get to their seats, and unless you get your feet out of the way, you can guarantee they will stand on them in the dark.
    I end up putting my feet as far under my seat as I can, or curl them up on the seat....nothing worse than someone's size 10 stupid boots standing on your barefeet in the dark! :love:

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Find Under The Seat Is The Safest Place...:).

Cheers Glen.

3. PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 Member

Well then be glad you're not around my US size 13's!

Lately I just wear flops and take them off after I sit down, but if I go to something by myself (hoping to catch Star Wars 3D, wife doesn't care about it) then I may try to go BF.

4. nakedfeetguy

nakedfeetguy Member

I usually go barefoot to the movies.

Most of the time it has been okay but on one occassion they told me it was against the rules to not wear shoes.

But that was only one occassion out of about maybe 5 or 6 times that I have been allowed in barefoot, even though officially there are signs saying footwear must be worn.

I usually go barefoot the movies if I am on my own because then it doesn't matter so much if they don't let me in. If I go with friends I usually wear shoes to avoid the nuisance factor and embarassment of not being allowed in.

5. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

movie theaters don't sound like the supreme threat to bare feet to me. mosh pits , crowded dance floors and even regular concerts and rallies are the places where the unruly horde of boot people :p really tries hard to crush your toes. if the basic rule of barefooting is «watch your step» , in those places you also have to watch other people's ones.

6. New Kiwi

New Kiwi Guest

Even here in New Zealand the movies can be a tricky place to go barefoot. It's one of the few places that commonly ban bare feet, probably because they are afraid of people stepping on something in the dark. Hoyts recently told my flatmate, who always goes barefoot everywhere, that she'd have to wear shoes there in the future. But that did come after years of going barefoot there without issues. I've also gone barefoot to the Hoyts a couple times without a problem.

Event Cinemas, which is an NZ-owned company, has never been an issue and I always see a couple others barefoot at the movies when I go there. However I would definitely say that, along with nicer restaurants, it is one of the rarer places to go barefoot to here.

I've also gone to movies barefoot with any issue in Queensland, Australia (in a mall where there were dozens of barefoot people) and in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. But in South Africa, despite there being lots of kids walking around the shopping complex barefoot, no one in the movie theatre was.

7. goodearth

goodearth Member

LOL!!!!!.....I second that!! I remember from when I was a kid. Yuckkkkk!!!!

Maxxy likes this.
  8. stonedhearted

stonedhearted Members

I don't go barefoot, but i take off my shoes and rest my feel on the chair in front of me. I'm always wearing socks tho.

Maxxy likes this.
  9. ganesha1967

ganesha1967 barefoot bellybearer

I was barefoot each and every time I watched "Avatar" at the movies... that's 5 times in regular Real-D 3D (first theatrical version), once in 2D, original English version (I hate dubbing... Neytiri in German is OK, but not quite as powerful as Zoe herself...) - special edition (with Tsu'Tey dying... and Neytiri weeping for him), 3 times in Real-D 3D, the same special edition...

Well, I had quite much popcorn on my soles mingling with tears falling from my eyes... yes, I admit, that's a movie making me weep in certain scenes...

Wiggling bare toes,

~*Ganesha*~

10. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

I third that. I go to the movies quite often with my friends, and all the time watching those movies barefoot, (at least, just inside if hassled) and the floors really -are- ALWAYS sticky. With one exception, when I saw the Woman in Black 5 days before it came out, the theater there had slightly dusty floors. I liked it.

And it's not always the boots that are the problem. Once, a lady in her 20's wore freaking high heels to the movies, and almost stabbed my feet with the heels. Seriously, she needs to do better.

11. solemum

solemum Member

Great to have another Kiwi on this forum, welcome from Auckland. I have to say I've been barefoot lots to the movies with my kids, and with my partner and never had any hassle about it from management. Just goes to show how subjective these stupid policies can be. I'm out east, so usually go to Botany or Sylvia Park movies, if you know Auckland at all.

12. Barefoot Guy

Barefoot Guy Member

Wearing high heels/stilettos takes practice. The way you move your body and balance yourself does take some practice, but once you get it down you can walk in style, class and show what you got:devil:. Sometimes I show off by dancing in my six inch Gucci stilettos on subway and sidewalk electric vault gratings:).

13. hillman30

hillman30 Member

Impressive. I assume you don't mind wind gusts from the subway gratings flipping your skirt?

14. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

oh please no. it is really all about those king size smurfs battling the evil corporate gargamel starship troopers with some soap opera dynamics and special effects to glue all the pieces together. and 3d made my eyes fall from their sockets after the first hour x_X

15. ganesha1967

Everyone's a critic... :D

~*Txim Asawl*~

16. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

this is exactly what makes it appealing :beatnik:

17. Barefoot Guy

Barefoot Guy Member

I do not intentionally channel Marilyn Monroe. OTOH, I must admit I did get a bit frisky once or twice when I wore pink silk panties under my black miniskirt:devil:. OK, I'll stop now.....I was respectfully answering a question.

18. New Kiwi

New Kiwi Guest

Solemum,

I also live in Auckland, which I think is certainly the most barefoot-friendly big city in the country (probably due to weather).

Funny you say you go to Sylvia Park Mall barefoot. That's literally the only place in NZ I've ever been thrown out of for being barefoot. It was back in the winter of 2006 and I was walking through the mall when a security guard stopped me and asked if I had any jandals in my car to put on. I said no and he said I'd have to leave because I could hurt myself and sue them (which is a total lie since we have ACC here and so we aren't allowed to do personal injury lawsuits of course). I pointed out to him that I'd seen several other people in bare feet just in the past few minutes and he said security would be dealing with them too. I got off by telling him I'd go to the Warehouse and buy some jandals. I didn't, just finished shopping and left, but felt really weird about it.

I've been back to Sylvia Park a few times since and never had a problem again, but also notice there are far fewer barefoot people there than in Albany Mall where I normally go. I've never had any issue in Albany or any of the Westfield owned malls.

19. ganesha1967

Update: last time I went barefoot to the movies: last Sunday, watching my favourite movie in 3D again, while visiting an online friend for the final weekend of my two-week leave... while she's an occasional barefooter, she wore Birks, showing bare feet, but not having them touch the nice carpet floors in the small theater in the south of Munich...

Some people were gaping at my feet, but nothing out of the ordinary, really.

Wiggling bare toes,

~*Ganesha*~

20. solemum

solemum Member

Just shows you how dumb these 'rules' are. I have been to Sylvia Park literally dozens of times and never had an issue at all. I dont own any shoes at all so dont know what the hell I would say if some smart arse came up to me! Thankfully in NZ thats a very rare occurance, cant help feeling it comes down to individual security guards view of life, and if he got out of the wrong side of the bed!

Maxxy likes this.
  21. dooberblaze

dooberblaze Member

Just saw the Hunger Games. Went Barefoot. Loved the Movie, though I loved the book more.