barbapapas!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by nimh, Jan 8, 2005.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

[​IMG]

daisymae, i like your new sig

i havent thought about barbapapa's since i was a little grrl. :D

2. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I loved those Barbapapa books as a kid. :D

3. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

wtf is a barapapa???

4. Mistress_Sassafras

Mistress_Sassafras Member

I'm surprised that anyone even remembered the Barbapapas. I used to love the cartoon.

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

HAHA! I loved the little cartoon...:D

6. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

I'm with Jerry on this one...I have no idea what you nuts are talking about. I do, however, think daisymae's sig is fun to look at...so is that what we're talking about? Jerry, are you Canadian as well???

7. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

i wish,
    im an american *hangs head with shame*

8. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Aww that's ok... your secret is safe with me :p I just wondered cos since I didn't know what they were and you didn't know what they were, maybe they never made it to Canada *shrugs* ah well. Congrats on the engagement, by the way! Score!

9. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I have no idea what the fuck those things are, but if they were brown, they could almost resemble mr. hankie, (i think thats his name) from south park. U know who I'm talking about, the family of shit?

10. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Mr Hankie, the Christmas poo! Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidey ho boys and girls! :D

11. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

fucking stupid canadian cartoons. look! it's an EGGPLANT!! OOOHHH!!

12. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

are you refering to me?

13. mynameiskc

are you an eggplant? or a stupid fucking canadian cartoon?

14. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I am both

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Sorry, KC, it's not Canadian. :D

It's actually a Japan/Netherlands concoction from the early 70's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304999/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9YmFyYmFwYXBhfGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=1;ft=2;fm=1

Here's some guy's description---
    "Barbapapa was a big pink blob. Unlike most Blobs, Barbapapa was a friendly blob who could change his shape into anything he wanted to help his human and (especially) animal friends. But Barba P. soon grew lonely and went out searching all over the world (and beyond) for a mate. In some of these early episodes the series is starting to show it's age. The Big shape changer meets up with some hippies in Trafalgar square who point him towards India, and most of the grown ups are shown smoking (because that's what grown ups used to do in those days). When poor Barbapapa finally returned home empty handed, he found a big black female blob called Barbamama crawling out of the same garden soil he had done a couple of episodes earlier. Unfortunately they never revealed what exactly was in the ground to cause this phenomenon. The two happy blobs saw no need to marry each other since they were already called 'mama' and 'papa', and started to procreate almost immediately. (risky stuff in the early seventies: A pink male mating with a black female).

Soon a bunch of brightly coloured Barbachildren hatched from eggs that Barbamama placed in the ground. They were ready to take over the show, turning their parents into background characters. In fact, Barbamama's main purpose in the series seemed to consist of holding hands with Barbapapa. The total of seven children could perhaps be interpreted as a biblical number, or just so that the whole family in a row could form the name "Barbapapa" during the credits (and yes, all the females were stuck forming the letter A while the males got to do the more exciting letters). Each of the Barbachildren had a different line of interest: of the four boys the red one was into sports, the yellow one loved animals, the blue one was an inventor and the black, hairy one an artist. The Barbagirls had more mundane hobbies: the orange one with the glasses loved to read, the green girl could play any musical instrument (and/or morph into one) and the purple one with the necklace was just plain vain.

All the voices were done by the narrator, who would also occasionally join a children's choir in singing a song. Unlike most children's programming of the era, most of the Barbapapa episodes featured stand alone stories. They still managed to cram a whole lot of stuff into just five minutes. Though the character design looked pretty simple, the way Barbapapa and family transformed into animal shapes, objects, vehicles or whatever fantasy object they needed was very cleverly animated. There was also some very inventive cross cut photography showing things happening above and beneath the ground (or water) simultaneously, just like in the original books by Talus Taylor and Annete Tison.

Since the Barbapapa's were obviously in touch with nature, and were often described as a species of animal themselves, the show had a very strong environmental message. Nearly every episode concerned the Barbapapas saving some animals from being polluted, hunted or both. The family started off living amongst humans, but gradually moved further and further away from them to build their own funky house out of Barbaplastic (which is probably very environmentally friendly). In one particularly downbeat episode Barbapapa even built a rocket ark to take all the animal species on earth to a clean new planet. Having lost none of it's charm, the series is still being repeated in many countries, since the message of Barbapapa is even more relevant today."

16. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Dude... I can't believe I missed out on the fun :( Now I feel sad.

17. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

does anyone remember the barbapapa song?

18. mynameiskc

well, it still sounds candian to me. we had the herculoids and people who blew shit up.

19. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Well, I can understand why you wouldn't have it in the US, the rednecks and Jesus people would have freaked out at the interracial marriage.....:D

20. mynameiskc

nut-fuckin' apeshit! and were they teaching their baby eggplants the gospel?!