Banning guns

Discussion in 'Protest' started by soadrocker856, Sep 28, 2006.

1. soadrocker856

soadrocker856 Member

Who here think we should ban guns?

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

not only banned but every 1 collected & destroyed

only acfception id understand is say if u lived somewhere really remote & hadta protect your family from like bear attacks or something..

but even then your more likely to kill your family withit then u are to be actualy attacked by 1..

guns are made for 1 thing..killing..& killing is 1 thing noone should ever do
    isnt it odvios?

3. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

How do you shoot birds, or rabbits without guns. Im not very good with the slingshot.

4. soadrocker856

soadrocker856 Member

Well, that's the problem. When we ban guns and make them destroyed, like in Australia, only law-abiding citizens would turn in their guns. Think about it in a criminals eyes: People are taking away their protection, and you have your shot to do whatever you want. Crime rose after they banned guns, and armed robberies increased 44% a year after the ban.

So, we should protect ourself from a bear, and not a man trying to kill you or steal from you?

If you are willing to kill a family member and guns are banned, there are many other ways. You could stab them, choke them in their sleep, many ways.

Guns were made for killing, but they were also made for protection. Let's drop some numbers:

50,000 people are killed a year from a gun in America. Yes, a pretty big number. And from police reports, meaning these are just the cases reported and not all of them, 2 million people use guns to protect themselves. So the saved to killed ratio is 40:1. That seems like a pretty big difference. Not big enough. 90% of the people killed by a gun were commiting a crime at the time. So what is 90% of 50,000? Using basic algebra, that is 45,000 criminals killed from a gun. So now we are looking at 5,000 innocent people killed, and 2 million innocent people saved. That is a 400:1 ratio.

Just trying to keep this discussion fair and balanced [​IMG].

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

My car yes, my dog maybe, my gun will be given barrel end first!

You dont want them, fine, dont own one. You are afraid of getting shot by accident then stay out of my house!

6. eveninmadness

eveninmadness Member

Its the fault of the person who committed the crime. Not the weapon- whether it be a gun, a knife, etc. What happends if we ban guns? they will still exist. we will create more crimes because we will have them illegally, go through more trouble and cause more crime to buy and use them. What happends if they ban and destroy guns? People will make with what they have. Humans are capable of evil things. They could spring load a flexible spoon into shooting deadly darts- for all we know. the gun didnt say to the man "hey , you have some irrational problem, you need to take me and blow someones head off. now." People to blame. Not the gun.

7. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

You can kill a person with sticks and stones......so does that mean collect and destroy all the rocks and trees?...Guns were created for a reason just as everything else in this world...and they have been abused....just like everything else....humans are the problem....their greedy ways have abused everything great and small

8. Haid

Haid Member

I love the illegalization argument. How many illegal drugs do people consume a year in the US. Must be 0 since they are illegal. Maybe they forgot the round-up all the excisting drugs part.

9. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Do you honestly think that instituting a ban on firearms will actually solve anything, make the world less violent? If so, you are only fooling yourself, because if anything, it could in turn make things worse for the law-abiding citizens. The ones you need to be concerned with are the criminals, the ones who could care less what the law says. Law abiding, honest citizens do not pose a threat. That is, unless you choose to break into their homes, and if so, you asked for it. ;)

Hand over all your power to the government, they'll protect you. Yeah, right.

I am certainly not one for violence, and to be perfectly honest, I hate guns. But I would in no way vote to support a ban, because, as already pointed out, the only ones would would actually hand in their firearms aren't the ones you need to be worried about. Do you think criminals will hand over theirs? Please.

10. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Guns are tools, they do nothing without intent. What if my dog gets horribly mutilated by a car and it's suffering, my horse breaks one of its legs and I can't afford thousands in vet bills? What if one of the local gun carrying crank heads decided my house looks like a good place to get something worth money? What if I'm starving and there is lots of wildlife about? What if an escaped murderer decides to come calling?

Do we really need more questionable bans? Look at the smoking bans.... Just one more unnecessary law.

And then the real criminals will have all the guns, and those of us who will become criminals by keeping ours... And I was raised in a gun free household. But it was also a farm. And there were times when I would have given anything for my dad to own a gun to put down suffering animals. That's reality. Guns are not evil. They are tools. It's all in whose hands they are in.

11. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

An armed populace is the best populace.

You'll be happy for all those guns when the time for the next revolution comes.

12. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

The problem isn't the tool, it's the mentality that goes with it. Right now those who own guns own them because they think they need to have them. If you want to see crime go down, you need to work on fostering a mentality where people realize they don't need guns.

13. guy

guy Senior Member

a gun is a tool
    how we use it is up to us
    as for myself, i suppose at some point in the future i might buy one but would probably use it for demonstration purposes, like momentum, you know bullet goes one way gun goes the other way, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. i suppose you might mount a rifle on a trolley device with a target on another trolly opposite.

14. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So,.........Hows the ban on Marajuana going ? :X

[​IMG]

15. soadrocker856

soadrocker856 Member

Hows the ban on Marijuana going? Eh...I could find a joint for $5 (I don't know if that's cheap or expensive...) with ease.

16. Langox510x

Langox510x Member

I'm against a total ban on guns, but the honest truth is that even if it's true that guns don't kill people they sure help. I think it should be much harder to own a gun, and many guns should be banned, but I would be against a total ban on all fire arms.

17. Langox510x

Langox510x Member

We have politicians and what not to decide on that. Many guns have already been banned in this country usually because they had no other purpose then killing other people. I can't understand why somebody here in America would need an elephant gun, or something that would blow a big whole straight threw a deer. It just makes no sense to me.

I think I'm more about having stricter background checks anyway. Something’s should be at the discretion of higher enforcement, because although the average person might be able to handle a gun there are many crazy’s, and dumb asses with legally registered fire arms.

No banning guns wouldn't solve the murder problem in America, but I believe there’s gotta be a solution, and we must at the least try and do something.

18. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Because for many a gun is just another manifestation of penis worship. Haven't got a big one, buy a gun. It'll make you feel like a man.

One of the first things they have to teach in basic training is the difference between your gun and a rifle.

Ever wonder why junior high school kids are so proud of their kills, even if they have only killed innocent babies in their cribs during a drive by?

19. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

I believe people should be encouraged to own guns. Many small towns already have policies encouraging all homes to own guns, and I know the Montanna state assembly routinly brings up bills that would in esscence promote homes owning guns, though I don't think any have passed yet.

There was actually an article in the New YorkTimes today about the mayor of a town on the suburbs of Boise, Idaho, who in response to increased crime coming from the expanding city has urged all homes to arm themself.

20. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I think every US homeowner should own a cannon, that would make us all safer!