balisong tutorial

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Sam_Stoned, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

I just got a butterfly knife and I learn a few tricks on youtube but I'm looking for a more laid out beginner to advanced technique tutorial. Anyone know where I can go, like maybe a website entirly devoted to it?

Cause I'm really not getting far with these random google vids...

2. Chapter13

Chapter13 Member

i can think of more fun ways to lose a finger....

3. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Some of the youtube ones are good, but it's hard to learn what they're doing when the dialog is like "well um.. you take uh... this part and... sort of, you know.. like flip it to here... oh and by the way you can also hold it at a 82 degree angle, or um.. like 40... but you hold the.."

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I recommend you stuff some old clothes to make a dummy and practice stabbing it in the backyard.

The neighbours won't bother you anymore...:D

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

always sneak up from behind and go for the jugular [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotwater

6. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I collect swords. My favourite is my Windless Steelcraft Falcata

[​IMG]

I chop shit in my garden all the time, it takes years to get to grips with sword sharpening though.

7. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

im pretty good with a butterfly knife. i pretty much just taught myself.

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

best advice is just always use the handle attached to the flat side of the blade. and maybe put a strip of tape over the blade, though I never did. then just start messing around with it.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

.. This is a generic balisong , see the locking latch is on the sharp end the knife,, this will damage the blade, Though the damage can create a serrated edge, This is what the ripper blade on the top the knife is for..... the edge of the indent on the top the knife should be a bit sharp.. So when stabbing the top of the blade RIPS and does not give a nice clean cut.... Damage to assailants is maximized.. :sunny:

10. deviate

deviate Senior Member

this is what I carry. more practical than a balisong in my opinion. and faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2dRgZtlDM"]YouTube - Kershaw Tactical Blur Knife 1670TBLKST Demonstration

11. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I have had tremendous success with this knife. Any target that I have used it on has not stood a chance. The balance of the knife is without question one of the best. :)

[​IMG]

I do actually own this exact carving set. :)

12. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

you might want to try taping the blade like somebody else said. it's probably easier if you're learning to switch hands or do throws and catches. i was learning to roll the blade over the back of my hand and catch it with my fingers...got a couple nicks from that, but it's good motivation to do it right next time.

my blade broke from excessive use though, so i dont get to do it much anymore

13. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

That's actually not faster. I used to carry a stiletto blade which is a lot like yours and no matter how fast you are, it takes 2 motions to draw and pop out the blade.

With this balisong as soon as I take it out of my pocket it's out if I quick drawl it. I actually tought myself my one-motion draw cause I don't like the way that asshole on youtube told me to do it. My way is more efficent anyway.

But I'm a bit of a knife nut and this is the fastest one I've ever owned.

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

yeah, I know how to do that. but there is more room for error than a torsion bar knife. especially in the heat of the moment. just keep doing it until it's an automatic motion for you.

15. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

I want to learn as many moves as I can that don't require release of the blade before I get into the fancy crap. I'm not even using the bite handel untill I get the 'feel' for it's balence perfect.

I never bought one of these before cause I thought it would be hard to even get a basic jist for it. But I've taken to the basics like a fish in water so I'm not worried. Ultimate knife... and it's legal to carry in Pa too!

16. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Tape is for pussies! :p

And I'm really not too worried about the stress level on the blade right now. It's a quality blade but I got it off a friend for 5 bucks so I'd just gonna beat it to shit practicing then when I get good enough I'll buy a fancy ass fucking blade! :D

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

damn, $5 definitely works.

I have a Benchmade balisong, and paid way too much for it. but it is pretty fuckin sick.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

when I was a kid, there were flea markets with this crazy guy.. This dude would have all these Pakistani knives, Sometimes they were a bit huge... you could buy some big butterfly knives for a few dollars.. oh the good ol days.. :D

19. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

They still have stores like that. Usually at farmers markets and quait shit like that. I bought this nasty trench knife that you help like a pare of brass knuckles. I got rid of them though... just too fucking illegal. :p

20. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

coooooooooooooool :D

do a video of you doin it :D