Backpacking solo?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tink, Aug 22, 2005.

1. tink

tink Member

The summer of 06 i am planning on backpacking through europe by myself, mainly in greece, italy, prague and the like. I'm only 17 and I will be 18 by then but everyone is telling me that I should go with a group of people. Has anyone here gone solo and what was it like?

2. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

You're crazy, you should never go solo, especially not if you're that young.. you never know what could happen... are you a man? Better if you're a man, but still, you'd better know how to defend yourself, there are psychos everywhere.

3. lakshen

lakshen Forn SiĆ°r

buy yourself a machette, mine has really helped me a lot [​IMG]

Grr, stupid pasta, I'll chop it to pieces :mad:

But yeah I'd say don't backpack alone unless you know how to defend yourself, there are load of good people out there but it only takes one creepy person to hurt you... As Penny said if you're a girl, but I presume not then you're fucked if you go alone, it's better as a guy but still heaps of sick freaks...

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I've gone backpacking by myself, from Finland to Spain and I loved that. Sure, you gotta be careful but just use your common sense and don't do anything (too) stupid and you should be just fine. :)

5. Disarm

Disarm Member

I'm doing about the same thing at about the same time (over the European summer or the American summer?) if you do want someone to go with. Keep in mind I'm a weak, outspoken girl hehe

6. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

I was backpacking solo in Greece in 1999 for 7 weeks. From the beginning I was planning to go and see lots of places, but I realized that it makes no sense to see historical sites etc. by yourself. I just stayed at some few camp sites, each for about 2 weeks, since I considered it to be lack of meaning just to travel all the time, never to have time to relax or talk to local people.

So there wasn't much travelling at that trip, actually! :D I guess the motivation to travel all the time is easily missing, when you're just by yourself. But you can always find a group to join, I think - backpackers always like company...

love,
    wolf.

7. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Yeah, exactly. :D You won't even have time to feel lonely when there are so many fellow backpackers around!