Background Check

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by Lynnbrown, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I didn't really know where else to put this question/topic...so I felt this was as good a place as any.

Today I put in an application with a clothing outlet, which I did NOT realize must be one of the Most Special Places in America.

On the application they asked have you ever been convicted, pled nolo contendre, something something to anything other than a minor traffic violation? If yes, put down the offense, date and result (or similar). They really did bold and underline the ever and anything, just like I did.

I only half-ass told the truth...said 1997 - simple possession of ... and where (here)...now I just got a call and I've got to go up there tomorrow and sign something for them to do this "intensive background check". Well, shitdamn...it was 1997; but it was 2 in just that year (yeah - I know I was BUSY that year).

So, since I didn't even tell the whole truth, and there are more simples - I am wondering will it ALL show? I really do think it will. Even as I write this, I am thinking I might as well not even go because I didn't tell the whole truth (there weren't enough lines!) and it seems this PLANT - even as far back as 1997 - is of GREAT importance.

I just hate being embarrassed. FGS! It'd just be cashiering or pointing a stupid scanner gun at clothes upon occasion. I've never stolen anything!
    I also think they would probably randomly test me because of this.

What do y'all think?

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you really have nothing to lose by going through with the process and you may get a job.

Funny because here in Calif. they have the same type of question except in bold it will say DON'T include any misdemeanor marijuana possession charges older than 2 years.

As far as being randomly tested, I doubt they can legally because your job it not what the federal government would classify as a "sensitive" or hazardous job. They would have to have just cause and your permission to drug test you because it does amount to a invasive search of your person (legally that is how urine collection is classified).

But that does not apply to pre-employment screening.

Good luck

3. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Here in SC I can't say whether an employer should or not...but I know for a fact that they DO randomly drug test for just any ole' reason. And if you don't agree with submitting to the test, you are considered to have quit the job. I know a couple of people that walked out of that situation before because they KNEW they would fail. :p

And I do appreciate your encouragement, NGas, but the more I think about it, the more I'm feeling that it will just be a waste of my gas and time. If they are going to cry about the ONE (lol) simple possession that I told them about, I just can't imagine them being happy about more than that, especially with me not including it...but really, they needed more lines. :) If it were just that one, I'd go through with it...but it's not...and they could say I already lied to start with.

I'll probably call her tomorrow and just tell her look, I didn't tell you how many simple possessions I have because I didn't think it would be relevant; but, since that ONE last one in 1997 is apparently so very important, I just won't waste their (or my) time and money.

I have learned this: I never knew before that one had to sign something to get an "intensive" background check - whatever that is. But since I know now, I will NOT NOT NOT tell a thing! If they find out somehow, then they just find out.

Usually on job applications they ask for felonies only - and sometimes it will ask if you've been convicted of anything in the past 10 years. This was a first for me. Live and learn, eh?

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Yeah if it's just a "job" and not a career type position i would also just keep quite unless it comes up, which is actually doubtful, it costs about $200 to do a complete background screen. a lot of places will only do them for management, jobs handling lots of cash (armored drivers), or government shit, or if you give them reason :p.

a lot of places will do a credit check though because it is faster and a lot cheaper.

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

^ Absolutely...that is the way I feel. I still can't get over them wanting to cry about the one (I reported) in 1997. C'mon now, you know?

They already requested my ss#, and I really thought they could do some kind of check with that. Plus, my credit check would be perfect, not that it matters, not with that ALL IMPORTANT misdemeanor of simple possession. :D